• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a B Body, but an AMC Gremlin....

That 6 in line was a great engine, produce until 2006
Yes, I remember my dad's Rambler engine with the "7 Main Bearings" decal on the valve cover. Chrysler kept the AMC engine in production for years after cancelling their own slant 6.

Funny how something so undesirable back then is looked at in a different light today.

In my opinion that is because these cars have gone from our Everyday transportation to "fun" project cars that don't need to start at 7Am everyday...

Having worked at AMC and had a Gremlin mind had the 258 cu in motor and it had good performance but the 304 had plenty of power to match most cars on the road back then. You could easily up grade the performance on the 6 and 8. The Spirit replaced it and had better styling.

I personally have a 77 Gremlin X, AC, Levi interior, 4-speed car
I purchased 10 years of SMS Origina Levi material for re-do of seats, and the Blue Vinyl
It is a Straight 6 cylinder with another built 6- 248 that my Bud and I rebuilt.

IMG_0244.JPG

I girl I liked had a Grimmie X with the 304 and it ran pretty good but a buddy on the next block had a AMX and I liked that a lot too but more so. The wheels on the AMX looked just like the ones on the Grimmie in the 1st post and when my buddy decided to put aftermarket wheels on his AMX, I got his stock wheels and stuck them on my Belvedere....sure helped out in the looks department.

wife's first car was a Levis edition Gremlin X ....... her dad put a 304 4 speed in it....... her nickname is "Pedals"

buddy of mine had a hot 360 4 speed in one....... he used to say "the only thing worse than driving an AMC is getting beat by one"

Some Hotwheels versions are available on eBay:D

ive always thought that this would have changed the market and Amc-s fortunes if it had only been released for sale...??
not to mention it sure made good use out of the pacer shell.

273265541_1364424707356147_2829637915550472065_n.jpg

1977_AMC_Concept_AM_Van_03-768x493.jpg

Reminds me of that land/amphibious vehicle in the 1960s Lost In Space TV show.

I always thought it would have been great if the AMX3 went into production. I think there are five or six in existence, running cars. They were fairly good at handling with a mid engine 390 (same as the AMX/Javelin engine) and although an AMC design were to be built in Germany by Karmann. Slated for 1971, with upcoming emission controls and large safety bumpers on the horizon, they ended up getting cancelled. AMC wanted to compete with the De Tomaso Pantera that Mercury was marketing.
1280px-amc_amx3_front.jpg

I always thought it would have been great if the AMX3 went into production. I think there are five or six in existence, running cars. They were fairly good at handling with a mid engine 390 (same as the AMX/Javelin engine) and although an AMC design were to be built in Germany by Karmann. Slated for 1971, with upcoming emission controls and large safety bumpers on the horizon, they ended up getting cancelled. AMC wanted to compete with the De Tomaso Pantera that Mercury was marketing.
View attachment 1236775
That is a timeless styling/design right there!

A guy in high school had a purple gremlin ....had a v8 4spd....I didn't know him very well but he parked next to my 71 Cuda all the time.

In 1973 I was looking for a new car, checked out the 304, Hurst 4 speed gremlin and they ran good. I end up buying a new 73 Lincoln mercury capri V6 4 speed.

Red X to you, RC. LOL.. I had a couple of those early Capris. Loved them. They were great cars except for when the rear quarter windows would fall off. Bad design/adhesive. But my redneck repairs worked well! (And the proper nickname was not "Debri". It was "Capoot"!)

Red X to you, RC. LOL.. I had a couple of those early Capris. Loved them. They were great cars except for when the rear quarter windows would fall off. Bad design/adhesive. But my redneck repairs worked well! (And the proper nickname was not "Debri". It was "Capoot"!)
My first one was identical to this pic:
ghows-GA-18696bfa-f849-46f8-ae9f-6f88bdcea008-dc9a1d70.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back