• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a B Body, but an AMC Gremlin....

It was built in Germany for ford, it was marketed for Lincoln mercury. It was all German and had all the refinement of any German built car. It would do a 140 and was almost impossible to break. I did once by pulling for second so hard it snapped the shifter off at the floor. The quarter windows popped open and the lever would pop of the glass. Pushed it closed and put a small shim in to hold it closed. Say what you want, it was quick, cornered like a Porsche and beat my 240Z all day long. I bought it new my senior year and beat on it like a rented mule for two years. No car I have ever owned took the beating I put on that car.
20180719_212842.jpg

Last edited:
It was built in Germany for ford, it was marketed for Lincoln mercury. It was all German and had all the refinement of any German built car. It would do a 140 and was almost impossible to break. I did once by pull for second so hard it snapped the shifter off at the floor. The quarter windows popped open and the lever would pop of the glass. Pushed it closed and put a small shim in to hold it closed. Say what you want, it was quick, cornered like a Porsche and beat my 240Z all day long. I bought it new my senior year and beat on it like a rented mule for two years. No car I have ever owned took the beating I put on that car.
View attachment 1236847
Capri
Oops, I should have read through page 2 before commenting. :lol:

Last edited:
I personally have a 77 Gremlin X, AC, Levi interior, 4-speed car
I purchased 10 years of SMS Origina Levi material for re-do of seats, and the Blue Vinyl
It is a Straight 6 cylinder with another built 6- 248 that my Bud and I rebuilt.

View attachment 1236440
I had one also and that 6 cyl had plenty of performance.

Back in the late 70's I test drove a used Gremlin X with the 258 engine and a three speed floor shift. It was a fun little car.

Not a Mopar, but caught my eye tonight. This nice looking Gremlin just popped up on Facebook Marketplace. I am almost tempted to go for it. It brings back memories from MANY years ago when I had a Gremlin X in the same exact color scheme. However, mine had a feisty 327 Chevy engine and a Muncie 4 speed transplanted into it. It could be pretty scary when hammered on... LOL, Fun Times!

View attachment 1236183
Can you post a link to the add please?
2435_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=c48759&_nc_ohc=11RSOL5LAEwAX-WSH8t&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

I girl I liked had a Grimmie X with the 304 and it ran pretty good but a buddy on the next block had a AMX and I liked that a lot too but more so. The wheels on the AMX looked just like the ones on the Grimmie in the 1st post and when my buddy decided to put aftermarket wheels on his AMX, I got his stock wheels and stuck them on my Belvedere....sure helped out in the looks department.

Yeah, it IS a very good looking wheel
The 70 Rebel "Machine" Wheels are a small fortune for each...
Just saying Cranky

In 1973 I was looking for a new car, checked out the 304, Hurst 4 speed gremlin and they ran good. I end up buying a new 73 Lincoln mercury capri V6 4 speed.

That little German V-6 had a 2.8 Liter engine
It "RAN"

yes, and the 258 6 cylinder was even more so!
The Mexican versions (VAM) were even peppier, displacing 282 cubic inches with 200 (gross) horsepower. This was a Mexican development on the AMC engine, and they weren't available in the US or Canada.

1644113157992.jpeg

Spectators?
:lol:

The original Jeep 4.0L engine was made by AMC, the company that helped develop the Jeep and the inline 6 cylinder engine in it. The 4.0L can make over 400 horsepower and more than 6000 RPMs. It's the only inline 6 I've ever owned and I've owned 5 of them, from Camanche, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and the J-Series.

I have owned 4 Jeeps with the 4.0 engines. I think those are even with, or surpassing, the reputation of the Mopar Leaning Tower of Power for reliability.

Recently sold this one. pictures will not post i'll try later

Auto Transport Service
Back