• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nutserts for firewall items

stushug

Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions. I'm tired of trying to tighten items in the engine compartment that attach to the firewall with self tapping screws. I have a nutsert tool and it seems like a good idea to use it. The only problem I see is the loss of originality. Anything that needs a ground would still have one. What do you guys think?

I'm looking for opinions. I'm tired of trying to tighten items in the engine compartment that attach to the firewall with self tapping screws. I have a nutsert tool and it seems like a good idea to use it. The only problem I see is the loss of originality. Anything that needs a ground would still have one. What do you guys think?
A great idea. Just make sure the paint is off around the hole so the nutsert provides a good ground path. I boiled a battery and caused some overcharging damage because of loose sheet metal screws holding my voltage regulator to the firewall. Go for it.

Good idea! I have a nutsert kit and I think I will use it to remount my voltage regulator. I am not happy with the loose self tapping screws.

I'll bet I have 50 nutserts in my 65. Just love them! The dash top screws are now 10-32 with socket heads and with my Bondhus wrench I can easily R&R the forward dash fasteners without windshield hassles. Also hold the upper inner windshield trim, front alignment covers, radiator support seal (no sharp clips), and many more spots.
Mike

We use them at work , pretty handy.
Older jeeps their factory ones seem to spin.
They are great till the spin. Lol.

Nut serts are fine. But you can tighten up the loose hole by inserting cotter key into the hole. S=read it apart slightly and slide it over the sheet metal (90 degrees to the direction of the bolt/screw). Trim the outside leg of the key short so it doesn't show. Then install the screw as normal.
Doug

Nutcerts are great, use the correct one for the material thickness. I used the ones with the serrated teeth on under side on the insertion end which helps to prevent them spinning loose. Make sure they are pulled up properly so they mushroom as intended without overdoing it. #6, 8's and #10's can strip out threads easily if over pulled. Remove some of the paint in the area where you install for good grounding of what you are mounting. I used for ignition control module and volts regulator mountings and never had a problem.

I used 1/4 inch nutserts to mount my voltage regulator today. They worked great!

IMG_20230624_133318962_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230624_134429518.jpg

IMG_20230624_142055490.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back