• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd oil pressure problem

I went to put a dist in a motor a guy rebuilt and found several orange shop towels laid in the galley. It was a small block Chevy so apparently they guy who painted the engine put them in there and then bolted on the aluminum intake with out removing them. You never know what might be inside.

This sure sound's freaky to me. I am interested in what you find. That would drive a sane man crazy. Hope you find it soon. Those darn Gremlins have struck again.

This sure sound's freaky to me. I am interested in what you find. That would drive a sane man crazy. Hope you find it soon. Those darn Gremlins have struck again.
Happy Halloween. Pulling the intake tomorrow. My wife has me on suicide watch, just in case I find nothing. More to come.

I would have thought it's maybe sucking air from the suction side of the pump.. pickup tube etc

This is where I would check. If you are getting froth in the oil could be a loose or cracked pickup tube.

:elmer:Patients is a virtue. I would be all over my motor guy and have him come take a look. LOL.

Last edited:
Happy Halloween. Pulling the intake tomorrow. My wife has me on suicide watch, just in case I find nothing. More to come.

yup if you don’t find 2.5 more quarts of oil it’s off to the wacky house for you:steering:

Last edited:
:rofl: Don't push the guy he is almost over the edge now!!!!!! We all have ben to this point at one time or another. Think he will get it after taking the hole motor apart. Damn Mopar's. Just kidding. Blue.

You think that even if every return galley was plugged it would hold 2.5-3 qts? The filter had no oil at all?
Some Ting Wong , maybe Chinese oil????

WHERE IS THE OIL!!!!! it has to be their some place. If not in the oil pan it is stuck some where. How many quarts did you put in it. 5 for a 383 with a five quart oil pan and one for the filter. They make a six and seven quart pan also.

Good luck brother and have patience. You'll be laughing about this in a month (or hopefully in a day or two) even though it's a high (low!) pressure situation right now.

Hopefully it'll be something simple and that poly stroker will be roaring in no time.

Conclusion: My own fault.
With the help of a friend who knows these engine quite well we talked about where the oil could have gone and were able to piece together a quart here and a quart there, finally coming close to the 3 quarts missing from the engine.
In all the confusion of trying to get the engine running for the first time I did not replenish the oil that escaped from some of the repairs - replacing the oil filter housing, installing a second filter thinking the first one was bad, etc.
The lack of oil in the pan, plus the fact that the bottom of the pan was severely dented and pushing against the pickup, explains most, if not all, of my issues. The immediate 50 lbs of pressure that quickly dropped off to near zero pounds. The air in the gauge line.
Though I constantly checked the dipstick, which showed adequate oil in the pan, I failed to realize it was giving me a false reading. It was purchased as an exact replacement for the engine so I trusted the reading was correct. It was not. It was reading from a small amount of oil in the front of the pan, which I learned when I dropped the pan. With the pan out I was also able to tap it back into shape giving the proper clearance for the pickup.
This has taught me a valuable lesson. Slow down. Double check everything and trust (the vendor) but verify.
The upside is (along with being taken off suicide watch), I now know the pump and pickup are fine and properly installed. And with all your help I've learned quite a bit about this engine and its oiling system.
Buttoned everything up yesterday and now have a steady 70 lbs of pressure while priming, which I believe will go down some as the engine breaks in.
Thanks to all here who gave of their time and knowledge. So greatly appreciated.

Darn dented oil pan. Yes when installing my new dip stick had to check it out very closely. 5 quart oil pan. It read one way with the pull handle towards the inner fender and another way with the handle towards the motor. So welcome too mechanic one o one. So you had 70 psi with the drill running the oil pump right. Once motor is turning it will be around 40. If you have 20 or thirty while at Idle then that is good. But still would run the motor some then drain the oil and filter. How did the stuff in the oil pan look. Or was their any thing in it. Blue.

Auto Transport Service
Back