• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

odd shifting issues

Damien B.

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
Hello

yesterday i took my satellite for a drive, when i was pressing on the accelerator the RPM would go up but the car wouldnt really speed up, it was only when i would release the accelerator that it would shift and get some traction back.
It feels like when i step on the gas the transmission is on neutral
Last week everything was fine, anyone have any inputs?
my satellite is from 71 has a 360SB and tf727

Sounds like a rear clutch issue. How many miles on the transmission? Does the fluid have a burnt odor? Level correct? KD linkage adjusted/operating properly?
Mike

Level of the transmission fluid is hard to tell because when i last drained it i put in some aft 4+ that is hard to see on the transmission dipstick
I replaced the kickdown linkage about 8 months ago and properly set up so that when i m WOT the lever is completly pulled
I will have to check the smell of the fluid
Reguarding the mileage on the transmission i cant tell since the car has had many owners over the years

Is the dipstick glazed having a brownish color? This would make it harder to see fluid level on it and an indication of it having been run with low fluid creating more heat. If so you can use some rubbing compound or lacquer thinner to clean it off using a fine grit steel wool. When you changed fluid did you replace the filter?

The fluid on the dipstick is almost transparent when i pulled it out to check if the level were good (in neutral when hot like the dipstick says)
I guess rip my trannie
prolly water or coolant in the tranny

Last edited:
The fluid on the dipstick is almost transparent when i pulled it out to check if the level were good (in neutral when hot like the dipstick says)
I guess rip my trannie
Use some toilet paper to check the oil level on the dipstick. Slowly wipe the dipstick clean from the top down. When the toilet paper turns wet you will see your reading.

Will do tomorrow today i m dealing with some familly stuff
Thanks for the replies

Level of the transmission fluid is hard to tell because when i last drained it i put in some aft 4+ that is hard to see on the transmission dipstick
I replaced the kickdown linkage about 8 months ago and properly set up so that when i m WOT the lever is completly pulled
I will have to check the smell of the fluid
Reguarding the mileage on the transmission i cant tell since the car has had many owners over the years
Is it the right setup as far as kick down? There are TONS of different setups, you need all thr right pieces

i have a lokar kickdown cable. it should be set properly

I guess rip my trannie
That shouldn't be an issue. Trans requires the flow of fluid to function, if it's exceptionally low a problem to confirm. If the trans has been leaking, that's a flag for low fluid development. If fluid is skanked, ya can smell da stench quick. If you haven't changed the filter (maybe you have and didn't mention) that's a simpler thing to do before getting more invasive. Check the pan for sludge or grit indicating more invasive remedies are needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back