• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

odometer/ speedometer adjustment off

levicah

Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
74' 727 TF. odometer is off, or slow by 2- tenths, or its logging 8- tenths as 1 mile. This translates to 10 + miles per hour slower reading on the speedo. I counted the splines on the cable gear and lined up the proper marks on the trans. Or I believe I did. Assuming the speedo cable bracket is in the right position, What do I do to correct this? Do I reposition the cable bracket to indicate "more" splines or less? or not at all?

Has anybody here corrected a 10+mph discrepancy? Any info would be appreciated!

You get to experiment with different speedo gears. Take a gps and go for a ride. Get up to 60 on the gps and record what your speedometer is saying. A one tooth change is about 2 mph at 60. Look to see what gear you have in there now and you can get close with hopefully only having to buy 1 or 2 new ones.

You get to experiment with different speedo gears. Take a gps and go for a ride. Get up to 60 on the gps and record what your speedometer is saying. A one tooth change is about 2 mph at 60. Look to see what gear you have in there now and you can get close with hopefully only having to buy 1 or 2 new ones.

cool. Thank you! am I looking at needing more teeth or less?

Fewer teeth to speed up the cable and make the speedo read higher to match your GPS.

Auto Transport Service
Back