• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM gas tank

JustCurious

Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
Going to start my project soon and need to get a new gas tank. The old one while in fair shape.. suffered a puncture when pushing it onto the trailer with a tractors hay forks.

plan is a 400 and make into a 500 or 512. Going to stay NA, likely 500hp range ish.

Question: I just want to make 1000% sure the stock fuel tank will be compatible with any combination I can think of in this power range correct? Even if I decide to go fuel injection vs carb? It will be just a matter of fuel lines and pump that I use for whatever combo?

If you fuel inject, you may want an in-tank pump and return line provisions.
Mike

So in that case the stock tank itself would need to be a different design? So aftermarket

Not sure that I mind the pump being in or out of the tank, But if the car would mind then thats a different story. This will be driven quite a bit if that matters 7-10k miles a year or so

I was looking at the holley sniper kit and it has a returnless style option with in tank pump.

Any one have a recommendation on what custom fuel injected compatible tank they have and like?

Also is there really a big benefit on a return or returnless system? Wanting to buy a tank soon.

I will be doing a 500 or 512 stroker build and going fuel injected for sure.

Any one have a recommendation on what custom fuel injected compatible tank they have and like?

Also is there really a big benefit on a return or returnless system? Wanting to buy a tank soon.

I will be doing a 500 or 512 stroker build and going fuel injected for sure.
IF going EFI, then YES do an in-tank pump.
Look at Tanks, INC....they make some very good units that are externally the same as our tanks, but made specifically for running EFI. My opinion is to do a return system on a performance build, especially with a bigger-cube engine.

These look pretty nice from Aeromotive Inc.

C8CC0728-4F3A-4940-BA6A-25749AF5B5EB.jpeg
7A7D55E8-ECA3-42FB-927D-FABBD2DA07E2.jpeg
E2BAB93B-9377-4588-9583-8A46BD49F608.jpeg

Those look nice and not too bad of a price really, OEM new is around 400 so couple hundred more for a new EFI ready is good I think.

Auto Transport Service
Back