• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh hell...

I did a compression test and here are the results. (Cylinder #- PSI Reading) 1-160#, 2-175#, 3-160#, 4-180#, 5-165#, 6-161#, 7-164#, 8-150#. It seems to me cylinder 8 has something going on?

I did a compression test and here are the results. (Cylinder #- PSI Reading) 1-160#, 2-175#, 3-160#, 4-180#, 5-165#, 6-161#, 7-164#, 8-150#. It seems to me cylinder 8 has something going on?
At 150psi you will not notice any difference in running. Keep looking.

If the carb were totally out of wack, or in need of a rebuild, would that make the motor knock if it were running too lean?

Is that "sneezing" through the carb I'm hearing during light revs?

You could do a leak down test. You also could get a bore scope and look at that suspect cylinder. Like I said at one time I will bet you accidentally got something in that motor when the intake was off. Noise, miss, and pulling wires did not change the noise. This tells me there a very good possibility of a nut or washer in the hole. You had better find it now before it really does some damage. Doug DVW that posts here had a issue that could of been a disaster. Crank hangs up after trans overhaul

You could do a leak down test. You also could get a bore scope and look at that suspect cylinder. Like I said at one time I will bet you accidentally got something in that motor when the intake was off. Noise, miss, and pulling wires did not change the noise. This tells me there a very good possibility of a nut or washer in the hole. You had better find it now before it really does some damage. Doug DVW that posts here had a issue that could of been a disaster. Crank hangs up after trans overhaul
The hole you're talking about,I'm assuming, is the intake port on the head? I had stuffed paper towels in each intake and exhaust port for that very purpose. To keep crap out. Seems like I'm going to have to pull it back out and tear it down again. Yay me...

The hole you're talking about,I'm assuming, is the intake port on the head? I had stuffed paper towels in each intake and exhaust port for that very purpose. To keep crap out. Seems like I'm going to have to pull it back out and tear it down again. Yay me...
Yes hole meaning suspect cylinder. You can buy a bore scope fairly cheap and you could look in each cylinder and see what the piston tops and valves look like. You might see something and then you can at least pin it down to a particular cylinder.

My ears are bad, however that sounds more like a rattling (loose timing chain) than a knock to me.

I hear you knocking. And it sounds like a loose flywheel on the crank to me, being aggravated by an ignition miss.
It's not a rod, but a main can sound like that.
A nut down the intake port would have bent a valve on its way to beating up a piston by now, so it ain't that. But a borescope down the intake runners will confirm that.
Have you put a stethoscope all over the motor and bell housing? That's going to bring a lot of things to light. What does the timing light on each and every cylinder at idle say, and on each rocker arm?

Auto Transport Service
Back