• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil filter question

Wasn't there a test a while back on the web were a fram ultra synthetic flowed about 30% more than a wix but still maintained the same filter rate as a six? I think I seen this on speed talk.

Is the Wix part number 51515?
Yes it is. Napa Gold #1515, Napa also has a shorter version of the 1515 in case you are tight for space. Sorry I‘m not at home to check my file. Maybe someone can chime in

Wix 51515 is the standard length.
They make lots longer, shorter, REALLY short, and smaller diameter/shorter.
If you need any of those I can post the numbers.

WIX 51085 is the shorter version, although there are probably others that work as well. I have to use that one on my Duster.

I'll add that the Wix 51452 has the same 'Internals & Specs' as the 51515, but has a thicker metal housing and stronger threaded base plate. It's the "Farm & Industrial" version of the 51515. I also like that it is painted White instead of Black, however it's quite a bit more expensive.

NAPA Gold numbers are 1452 and 1515

B

Every time I read another one of these "who's got the bestest oil filter" I wonder, who actually experienced engine damage due to a bad filter. I wish I knew which oil filter was the bestest years ago. I only got over 300k miles on a Ford Explorer using el cheapo oil filters. ( yes, there is a word bestest, it means better than best :) ) Actually, any manufacturer can produce a defective oil filter. ( Explorer was sold still running like a top )

Baldwin/Donaldson, Wix/NAPA Gold is my preference. Like WileE stated any should do. Just keep the oil changed.

We stay away from Baldwin at work too many fuel filter problems...

We stay away from Baldwin at work too many fuel filter problems...
Interesting, please enlighten me. I was very impressed with their fuel filter for my 98.5 Ram.
Not try to hi-jack the post.

Interesting, please enlighten me. I was very impressed with their fuel filter for my 98.5 Ram.
Not try to hi-jack the post.
Me too as I use one of theirs on my Airdog unit for the water separator. Donaldson on the other.

What about these guys?

Anyone have any experience with them? Seems like it would be the better filter in the long run. I like the idea of being able to see what kind of crap is in my filter without slicing it open. Plus no potential failures from bursting. Not a common problem but I know I had one Napa gold filter split from the base many years ago. And it has a built in magnet to catch the big stuff.

Baldwin have had leaking issues and flow issues. ... Just relating what I’m told and I know that Baldwin’s go straight in the can and we only use Wix, Napa gold, fleet guard and oem filters.

Wouldn't the appropriate questions to ask about oil filters are: Micron rating (particle size filtered); maximum flow rating in terms of gallons/minute or liters/minute or some quantifiable unit of measurement; pressure drop (pressure) or flow loss (pressure) at maximum flow; canister burst rating; anti-drain back valve; type of filter media (paper or synthetic or ??); internal bypass valve's pressure rating (when does it open based on pressure drop and no filtration )....i would think that these aspects of the filter rather than manufacturer, or its physical size or color or what your buddy uses...or...????. Just something to consider....
BOB RENTON

What about these guys?

[/URL][/URL]

Anyone have any experience with them? Seems like it would be the better filter in the long run. I like the idea of being able to see what kind of crap is in my filter without slicing it open. Plus no potential failures from bursting. Not a common problem but I know I had one Napa gold filter split from the base many years ago. And it has a built in magnet to catch the big stuff.
I don't see the point of the magnet; the majority of solid particle contaminants in engine oil are carbon from engine blow-by, grit and dust that wasn't properly filtered out of the intake and microscopic bits of aluminum/babbit bearing material. None of that stuff will stick to a magnet. If you have a self machining engine that's shedding pieces of iron, the type of oil filter won't be the biggest problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back