• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil filter question

Napa gold should be the same as a regular WIX. The XP was designed more for synthetic oils I believe.

I don't see the point of the magnet; the majority of solid particle contaminants in engine oil are carbon from engine blow-by, grit and dust that wasn't properly filtered out of the intake and microscopic bits of aluminum/babbit bearing material. None of that stuff will stick to a magnet. If you have a self machining engine that's shedding pieces of iron, the type of oil filter won't be the biggest problem.
I agree that none of those will benefit from having the magnet but, it would give an early indication if you have particulates invading the oil from a cam going bad, pushrod issues, rocker shaft material, distributor drive gear, wrist pin, etc. There are lots of things that will send up a red flag before going too far south to save any money.

Someone told me Wix filters are now made in China ? Anybody know anything about this ?

Someone told me Wix filters are now made in China ? Anybody know anything about this ?
I have heard that as well going back a couple of years. I buy at least 30 Wix filters a year and so far every one has been stamped made in the US.

Hmmm... a friend of mine informed me that his Fram HP1 is stamped made in china.

But Mann + Hummel, who own Wix, produce the majority in Canada, China, Brazil, Poland, Mexico, Venezuela and Ukraine. Although there may be some still produced in North Carolina, the majority are from outside the US.

I’ve heard the same. Lately I check the filter before I fork out the cash. So far all that I’ve picked up USA.

FYI , just got a few Wix filters all made in USA... for one of my cars I just got a K&N ps-2004 ... stamped made in china.

Well I’ve bought my last WIX filter. Changed oil in 2016 chrysler 300 3.6L. Filter made in china. And I was dumb enough to wait 12 hrs because Oreillys didn’t have one in stock.

IMG_2063.jpeg

Well I’ve bought my last WIX filter. Changed oil in 2016 chrysler 300 3.6L. Filter made in china. And I was dumb enough to wait 12 hrs because Oreillys didn’t have one in stock.

View attachment 1646187
Is Nothing is sacred any longer??? Are any body's filters make in the USA?? AC DELCO is made in China or India......why... because margin costs???? Even filters for my 22kw Generac are made in India......
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
yup........ picked up a NAPA Gold today........ made in china

I guess I’ll be sourcing Baldwin filters until they prove to be Chinese. I will accept other North American built filters. But will pick USA first.

View attachment 1646187

Is Nothing is sacred any longer??? Are any body's filters make in the USA?? AC DELCO is made in China or India......why... because margin costs???? Even filters for my 22kw Generac are made in India......
BOB RENTON

yup........ picked up a NAPA Gold today........ made in china
I just got a dozen Wix 51515, all USA made.

I usually buy Wix plastic fuel filters that I like and were made in Russia but now the same part number comes in the filter is smaller and made in China.
For oil filters Ive had several Bosch 3500s I bought years ago. Seem to keep the 383 alive for now. Made in USA.

Auto Transport Service
Back