• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil in coolant

Turbobus

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Hey peeps, newbie to this forum, please be gentle
I Rebuilt a 440. Mach shop did usual stuff, bore deck etc, After 10 mins shut it down to cool, checked coolant level, oil on top of coolant, not sludge or milky But pristine valvoline Oil. No coolant in oil head gasket, cracked block or heads? Heads are 440 source aluminum, brand new! Any one had sim problems?

You could pressure test it. With any luck, the shop was a bit sloppy and some oil ended up in the water passages during assembly. Flush and check again.

Oh, and :welcome: Turbobus!!

untitled.png
Agree. First thing I'd be doing is pressure testing the cooling system.
Easy and simple, cheap too if you get the loaner tester from AutoZone or some
such.

You could pressure test it. With any luck, the shop was a bit sloppy and some oil ended up in the water passages during assembly. Flush and check again.

Oh, and :welcome: Turbobus!!
Thanks!
Blew out all coolant passages Before assy, afraid it might be block have a hard time thinking oil is migrating from oil galley straight to nearest water passage, we’ll see.

No water in the oil. Is that rite. I agree about pressure testing. Check your plugs as well to see if any thing is getting into cylinders. If every thing was built rite. Then maybe a head gasket is not sealing properly.

Hey peeps, newbie to this forum, please be gentle
I Rebuilt a 440. Mach shop did usual stuff, bore deck etc, After 10 mins shut it down to cool, checked coolant level, oil on top of coolant, not sludge or milky But pristine valvoline Oil. No coolant in oil head gasket, cracked block or heads? Heads are 440 source aluminum, brand new! Any one had sim problems?
Sounds like the headgasket to me!

Did I take it to mean that there was just a layer of oil on top of the coolant in the radiator, and it wasn't mixed with the coolant ? Like you just poured a little oil in the radiator on top of the coolant ? If so it can't be any of the above guesses.
Just an unrelated question, did you have a roller cam and lifters in it ? If not, why would you shut it down after only 10 minutes? Usually take 15-20 to properly do a cam/lifter break in.

If you're oil in the crankcase looks good it's more likely to be residual oil in the block. I do agree with a pressure test to verify. 440'

No water in the oil. Is that rite. I agree about pressure testing. Check your plugs as well to see if any thing is getting into cylinders. If every thing was built rite. Then maybe a head gasket is not sealing properly.
Yes, no coolant in oil. I will pressure test it because that is a cheap and easy first attempt, cross fingers!

Did I take it to mean that there was just a layer of oil on top of the coolant in the radiator, and it wasn't mixed with the coolant ? Like you just poured a little oil in the radiator on top of the coolant ? If so it can't be any of the above guesses.
Just an unrelated question, did you have a roller cam and lifters in it ? If not, why would you shut it down after only 10 minutes? Usually take 15-20 to properly do a cam/lifter break in.
Yes, full roller and oil was just on top of coolant Not mixed,,yet. Scratching my head, i fear for my hair!!!

Whats the history of the radiator ? New Aluminum ? Old oem ?
Agree on the pressure test.

Auto Transport Service
Back