• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OIL LOSS FROM 383 MOTOR

moes

Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
Had a very small oil leak on the top of the valley pan from around the intake ports, and the oil on the dip stick was getting lower when I drive the car a lot (it was mixing oil with the gas and burning it in the chamber). Pulled the intake and found that it was leaking around more than one intake port. I installed a new valley pan and gaskets. Cleaned up the aluminum intake, shaved off the Edelbrock Performer 383 and painted it the engine color like the factory did. Located the negative battery cable end under the throttle return bracket like factory, instead of on top the way it was. I have been driving for a while now and guess what, no more oil loss. I like the way it looks, too.

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Glad to hear you got it sorted. This is really what we are talking about when we tell people to check for vacuum leaks on a big block..... not really an oil leak there, although I can see why you'd call it one.

Looks like some one got a bit happy with a die grinder/ gasket matching. The paper gaskets should do the trick sealing it up. Nice detail on the engine.

Must have been the pesky Edelbrock logo causing the problem....

Had a very small oil leak on the top of the valley pan from around the intake ports, and the oil on the dip stick was getting lower when I drive the car a lot (it was mixing oil with the gas and burning it in the chamber). Pulled the intake and found that it was leaking around more than one intake port. I installed a new valley pan and gaskets. Cleaned up the aluminum intake, shaved off the Edelbrock Performer 383 and painted it the engine color like the factory did. Located the negative battery cable end under the throttle return bracket like factory, instead of on top the way it was. I have been driving for a while now and guess what, no more oil loss. I like the way it looks, too.

View attachment 1346414

View attachment 1346415

View attachment 1346416

View attachment 1346417

View attachment 1346418
Looks nice & clean .

Auto Transport Service
Back