• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pan Drain Plug Leaks

RT70

Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
I've got an Oil Pan Drain Plug that is leaking, and was hoping one of you Mopar experts could offer me some suggestions. The car is a 70 Coronet R/T w/ a 440, and this is my first Mopar. The Oil Pan appears to be in great shape, no visible dents or damage. The Drain Plug (PN 2125890) is original, and I put a new orig Washer (PN 2268513) on the Plug. I've tightened the Plug to 25 ft. lbs, didn't want to go any tighter and strip out the Pan threads. My most recent attempt at repairs was to wrap the Plug 3 times (clockwise) around with Teflon plumbers tape. This got the leak down to approx. 1/2 a teaspoon per day, however it is still leaking. A minor issue but it's irritating the heck out of me! I've never had this issue with previous muscle cars that I owned. Any suggestions would be much appreciated? thank you, Richard

Have you tried a different plug?

I've had friends use these copper crush gaskets instead of the orignal washers and it stopped the oil drips

s-l1600.jpg

They use to have oversized plugs to replace the original if you stripped the threads.

Moes, would you have the 1) diameter, 2) thickness, and 3) Parts Store? thanks, I'll try this
Moes,
Looks like I can get an assortment at almost any parts store and Harbor Freight

Not sure what 25lbs feels like. I just hand tighten the plug. Wouldn't hesitate to give a snug 1/4 turn within reason after a heat cycle.

Not sure what 25lbs feels like. I just hand tighten the plug. Wouldn't hesitate to give a snug 1/4 turn within reason after a heat cycle.
Dennis H,
I used a Click type Torque Wrench set for 20 ft. lbs. (Factory Specs are 20 ft. lbs.) and then tightened maybe an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn more, thanks,

I'm with moes I use the copper washer as well... but I'm using a milodon pan and I tighten it pretty good, more than 20lb-ft I'm sure. Tighten it some more and see how it works... You'll have to King-Kong that thing to strip the threads. If you use a copper washer, tighten it real good, and it still leaks then it's possible there's a tiny hairline crack in that area.

Last edited:
I'm with moes I use the copper washer as well... but I'm using a milodon pan and I tighten it pretty good, more than 20lb-ft I'm sure. Tighten it some more and see how it works... You'll have to King-Kong that thing to strip the threads. If you use a copper washer, tighten it real good, and it still leaks then it's possible there's a tiny hairline crack in that area.

Beanhead,
Thanks for the information. I've had a problem on one of the front brake hoses leaking at the caliper on my old suburban, and I had to tighten that caliper bolt A LOT. Sounds like a similar problem. I'll also try a little more on the tighten. thanks, Richard

I would have to look at a mopar pan at work, but I had a ford 300 come in for the same thing. Turned out, the welded in drainplug insert was split like a sum bitch, and wouldn't stop leaking. Customer thought he had a rear main leak. Replaced the oil pan when I rebuilt the motor, and viola, no leaks...

what does the FSM say about torque
should not need 25 lbs
might you be distorting something, or a crack

Be sure the surface where the plug meets the pan is flat, not scored, and I also recommend the copper washer

I would have to look at a mopar pan at work, but I had a ford 300 come in for the same thing. Turned out, the welded in drainplug insert was split like a sum bitch, and wouldn't stop leaking. Customer thought he had a rear main leak. Replaced the oil pan when I rebuilt the motor, and viola, no leaks...

69Bee,
I'll take a good look at the Pan, thanks

what does the FSM say about torque
should not need 25 lbs
might you be distorting something, or a crack

wyrmrider,
The 1970 Dodge Charger/Coronet Service Manual says 20 ft. lbs torque

Be sure the surface where the plug meets the pan is flat, not scored, and I also recommend the copper washer

WileERobby,
Thanks, the Pan surface around the threaded area doesn't look scored and appears to be flat. I'm going up to Harbor Freight to get an assortment of copper crush washers (as soon as I finish the two page list of things to do from my wife).

Is there a spark plug washer that would work?
thanks for the 20 foot pounds

Auto Transport Service
Back