• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan torque secuence/spec?

MprDoc

Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
ALOHA! I just put a morroso oil pan on my 360. . . is there a bolt tightening sequence and what is the torque spec for the bolts?

The '71 FSM calls out 200 inch lbs as the torque spec. It gives no sequence for the tightening. For what it's worth, I torque them similar to the heads... from the center of the pan to the outside corners.

INCH pounds?? I don't have an inch pounds torque wrench. . . would you happen to know foot pounds or the conversion factor?

12 inch lbs. = 1 ft. lb. so 200 inch lbs. = 16.7 ft. lbs.

It kind of depends on the type of gasket you use in my opinion. Soft cork gaskets can't take as much torque as a more solid rubber type.

I've never torqued mine to a specific number. I just tighten in the middle-out sequence mentioned above until the gasket just starts to squish down a little and that's where I stop. Similar for valve cover gaskets.

Like runner says you can tell when to stop.

It kind of depends on the type of gasket you use in my opinion. Soft cork gaskets can't take as much torque as a more solid rubber type.

I've never torqued mine to a specific number. I just tighten in the middle-out sequence mentioned above until the gasket just starts to squish down a little and that's where I stop. Similar for valve cover gaskets.

Like runner says you can tell when to stop.

Exactly! Watch the gasket!! On the small blocks put some goop in the corners where the rubber seal joins the cork. Make sure you check pan floor to pickup clearance as well as pickup to crank counterweights and stuff. Eyeball it to about 1/2" from bottom of pan.

Hey thanks guys! I'm actually using a rubber style gasket that I believe has steel core and is a one piece deal, I hate those cork gaskets!

Auto Transport Service
Back