• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pressure/Temp Question

Don't rod side clearances also have some affect on oil pressure, especially at idle?
No, unless they're to tight. Loose hurts nothing. Oil flow is dictated by rod bearing clearance.
Doug

Last edited:
Hmmm...makes ya kinda wonder why they put bearing clearances in the book, don't it!

Tight, or loose, inside those limits, including side clearance, and the weight of oil used is what decides what kind of oil pressure you get.

No, unless they're to tight. Loose hurts nothing. Oil flow is dictated by rod bearing clearance.
Doug
Well, that's good. When I changed my oil pan it looked like my rod clearances were pretty loose but I didn't check them as my mind was on other things. But I have good oil pressure and oil temp stays under 200 on hot days.

So update on my engine running too cold, I have since replaced the thermostat. I also went to fuel injection. The kit came with an electronic temp sensor. I can barely keep it above 155-160 on the highway. That rules out the thermostat and gauge. I currently don't have a fan clutch. If I went to that would it possibly help to get my temperature up?

Did you ever up the thermostat to a 190? I would think that would do it.

Another option would be to block off a portion of your radiator (or grill).

No I didn't, I was convinced I had a bad thermostat....

What water pump housing do you have? OEM or aftermarket?
Oil pressure is fine. You can up the idle but IMO 1100 is too fast unless it's a drag racing car and the cam makes it necessary.

The water pump is OEM. I did leave the idle alone.

Unless you are bypassing water some where there is no way a car will run cooler than thermostat!
Am I missing something here?

I'm confused as well. It will gain temp in park upwards of 200 if you let it idle long enough. I take it for a drive and it loses heat. Seems to run just fine, I'm not losing water either.

I put a new 180 thermostat in it a few days ago. I started it with the radiator lid off, I didn't see any fluid moving inside. I has to be closed right?

I put a new 180 thermostat in it a few days ago. I started it with the radiator lid off, I didn't see any fluid moving inside. I has to be closed right?
No, not really. I'll have to ask...did you test the new thermostat, before you installed it?
Even a new one needs to be tested, with all the new crap parts being made these days.

If you have the radiator cap off, the motor just idling, you won't have any water flow...until the thermostat opens. Just means you need to let the motor warm up, until it gets to temp, and the thermostat opens. Then, you should see water flow in the radiator, from one side to the other.
If no water movement...look at the water pump.

Forget to turn on the electric water pump and you will get all the heat you need. Beleave me, I know

No, not really. I'll have to ask...did you test the new thermostat, before you installed it?
Even a new one needs to be tested, with all the new crap parts being made these days.

If you have the radiator cap off, the motor just idling, you won't have any water flow...until the thermostat opens. Just means you need to let the motor warm up, until it gets to temp, and the thermostat opens. Then, you should see water flow in the radiator, from one side to the other.
If no water movement...look at the water pump.
Exactly

Thermostats do not allow coolant to flow untill it's at temp. You either have coolant bypassing the thermostat, a bad thermostat, bad temp gauge or have the temp sending unit in the wrong location. Where are you taking your temp reading from?

Last edited:
On the temperature, mine drops to about 168 when cruising. I too worry about running too cool. Are you using a laser temperature gun to confirm the actual reading? Been using Amsoil Signature Synthetic 10-40 motor oil. It is high zinc, and additive package to massage seals to help reduce leaks. Using it for 10 years big block likes it.
There is one bad thing about running to cold, you can get fuel past the rings especially if ever flooding the motor and running to cool won't evaporate it out of the oil.

I've put two different thermostats in it. Two different gauges. They all read the same. Fluid isnt moving with the cap off cold. I think it just runs cool. Im going to try a 190 thermostat.

Auto Transport Service
Back