• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oiling system modification necessary on a 383

some rods have them some don't
the notch for the bearing tang was an installation aid- no big deal when you are building by hand if you have bearings with no tangs, just put them in in the right place- they will not move

1 the lifters meter the oil so really does not matter
The problem is the lifters can meter way to much oil. My push rods are .090"orifice. The most pressure the motor would make with a high volume pump, bushed lifter bores, and an adustable oil pressure relief spring was 45psi. After a few tries the pushrods are now restricted with roll pins inserted (.055" orifice). The adjuster is now backed almost all the way out. Had to cut 2 coils off the relief spring to get the pressure down to 70@7000, idle 50, .004" mains, .003"rods, 5w30
Doug

looks like it does matter sometimes
I guess I used the solid adjusted to meter
I'll watch this next time
thanks
where's the roll pin

Some comments based on the other responses -
I use a round burr to reach the corner in the pickup side...
For sure a mild build doesn't need much tweaking of the oil system. Get the machining done well, and the clearances good, and it will live fine unless you really, really push things. I like going deeper - but honestly I don't consider it a "must".
No clue why one might have trouble with drilling the main feeds using a drill. I have the same cheapo high-speed steel one I've used for decades. Use oil, go carefully. No issues.
One needs to be very careful using any hone on the lifer bores. The less one does in terms of those bores the better. That's 16 oil leaks you're potentially making bigger to make yourself feel better.
The grooves in the rod caps are to oil the cylinder walls. Modern thinking doesn't make use of them, and many bearings don't have the cut to make them work.
Pretty much all manufacturers all use the same part number for AMC and Chrysler. The oil hole is either plugged by the pushrod, or opened by the pushrod. The lifters themselves will all spurt oil out the top.
If you are going to measure, get the tools and measure. If you're going to use plastigage, you're guessing as far as I'm concerned.

Auto Transport Service
Back