• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok i know not everyone will agree but i have to use what i have... :)

67coronetman

Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
Mopar 312/590 cam

1. Since my roller went down & i dont have the money to spend on a new one now with lifters i am going with a great old favorite which i used in the past since i have a heavy car a 1966 plymouth satellite i have always installed my cams 4 degrees advance i have found it give it a little more to move the beast plus a very wize old racer told me to try it and see anyways have any of you done the same or maybe more.... My car see more street use than track use but it will be ran at the track to....

2. Oil as we know with this cam we need a oil with Zinc i have always had good luck with Valvoline VR1 Racing oil 20W-50 but i do know of a few guys local with the mopar 509 cams & they use Rotella T Diesel oil 15W-40 so what say you all just asking to know what other use.

As I had said before that I like that cam alot. But depending on the rest of your combo will tell how good it works for you. Just make sure you have enough valve guide to retainer and piston to valve clearence. As for oil I am like you as I use the Valvoline VR1 racing oil 20W-50. On oil changes I also add a small bottle of zinc additive from Comp or another good brand as a few companies makes it. That has worked fine for me. I broke in the solid flat tappet cam I run on the Valvoline VR1 racing oil. My cam is .585 and .592 lift and 264 & 270 @ .050. I dont blame you for trying it since you have it. Believe me I have worked on tight budgets most of my life so I understand why you want to use it and I hope it works good for you. Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it goes. Ron

Thanks ron and i did have one in a motor before but i didn't have as good of heads i do now and the flow plus i am using a single plane now and big TTI headers and a good stall and a great trans that was built by Jim Pranis in Pa... Now i have never used the Zinc additive but i will now.

I know "racers" out here on the Left Coast use Rotella 15-40
I like the Valvoline but I'm not racing yet...
(Max Wedge Clone is not finished)

Very nice looking car BTW!

If you want to find the 'sweet spot' of a cam, set it up to give you the highest cranking PSI. Yeah, it's a pita but that's the way it should be done but iirc, 4 degrees advanced with that cam should put you real close if not on it. Keep in mind that most cams are ground with 4 advance already in them so like mentioned above, make sure you have the needed clearances.

Auto Transport Service
Back