• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok, need some moral support and info

Red63440

Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
For some reason I feel like I am going back to school, I have forgotten a lot and never knew some of it.
I am going to be installing a cam in my car and feel that I will be using a degree wheel...which I have never used. The last cam I installed was back in the early 70's and all I had to do was line up two marks and it was done.
So I guess what I need is "schooled" in the art of installing a cam in which a degree wheel must be used. Make it simple to understand and pictures would help.

This is what I am working with;
67 383- standard bore and pistons
67 916 heads- ported and polished with large valves and HD springs, retainers and locks.
MoPar Purple Hydraulic cam #P4452993
Holley Street Dominator with a Carter 750 CFM competition carb
Headers
Electronic distributor
Manual brakes and manual steering

I somewhat understand the procedure but I have never done it.:icon_hang:

I dont like to risk things that are pretty crutal but I pay for it... maybe get someone to come down to assist you for a hr. couldnt cost too much

peace of mind=priceless

So, when should I expect you and what do you drink????? LMAO!!!

Attachments

• 119-1904_IMG.JPG
    119-1904_IMG.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 257
  • 119-1905_IMG.JPG
    119-1905_IMG.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 119-1906_IMG.JPG
    119-1906_IMG.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 117-1748_IMG.jpg
    117-1748_IMG.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 249
It's not as hard as it sounds as long as you don't screw up the math. (Please don't ask how I know). If you're doing it at home, do it several times. Have fun with it. Try changing the advance or retard and soon you will understand how it works and be comfortable with it. It's supposed to be a hobby, right?

LMAO.....Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

First mistake: coming here for "moral" support. Our morals are,well,...let's just say that some of us are morally bankrupt...

Seriously(moi?);this is one of the best tech threads I've seen here. THANK YOU for all the info. There are many who want to learn how to do this-like yours truly! Kudos to all who contributed.

Follow up question...

Does a car that is not going to be raced need to have the cam degreed in or will it work fine just installing it?

Just my opinion!! Don't Worry-Be Happy..........And just install it!! If you're racing and trying to eeeek out another .10 et then degree it for accuracy and potential adjustments later. It's still very important to do a P/V clearance check. You don't want valves slapping pistons. With a purpleshaft; you probably have more than enough room but, better to be safe than sorry. :icon_axe:

Auto Transport Service
Back