• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old garage photos

Cambridge, Massachusetts, circa 1912. "Entrance to subway, Harvard Square."

View attachment SHORPY_4a24400a.preview.jpg

Circa 1914. "Ford Motor Company plant, Highland Park, Detroit."

View attachment SHORPY_4a25870a.preview.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1920. "Henno Sales Co., black truck."

View attachment SHORPY_29304u.preview.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1925. "Ford Motor Co. -- Duz delivery car at St. James Hotel."

View attachment SHORPY_32114u.preview.jpg

Circa 1925. "Ford Motor Co. -- Lincoln car in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia."

View attachment SHORPY_32143u.preview.jpg

The 100 Greatest Movie and TV Cars of All Time?

Here's a few cars i came across today, i put in a few but if you would like to check them all out (link below), maybe see whats considered number one on a countdown list from 100 enjoy .. Monkey mobile 100, i haven't cheated myself to see number one, couldn't see starting a thread just for these and in the link you may find your pick of what should be number one!

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/the-100-greatest-movie-and-tv-cars-of-all-time.html

The Monkees 1966 Pontiac GTO: Dean Jeffries turns a GTO into a massive T-Bucket with a blown engine. The TV show ran two seasons between 1966 and '68. | October 27, 2011 | NBC Television

View attachment 1.jpg

Cannonball 1970 Pontiac Trans Am: Pure mayhem from the Death Race 2000 director. Based on the Cannonball race, it beat The Gumball Rally into theaters by a month in 1976. | October 27, 2011 | New World Pictures

View attachment 2.jpg

Cannonball 1970 Pontiac Trans Am: Before it blew up, the Trans Am in Cannonball drove in the dirt. That's 1970s filmmaking at its most thrilling!

View attachment 3.jpg

Easy Rider Captain America Harley-Davidson: The ultimate biker road trip movie. Made in 1969. Made Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson, and they're Harley's icons. Yes, it's not a car. | October 27, 2011 | Columbia Pictures

View attachment 4.jpg

Diamonds Are Forever 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1: James Bond rips Vegas apart in a great chase from 1971. Goes into an alley up on its right-side wheels, comes out on its left. So what. | October 27, 2011 | United Artists

View attachment 5.jpg

Last...

Fireball 500 1966 Plymouth Barracuda: This is the only movie known to us that thanks the publisher of Hot Rod and Motor Trend magazines in the final credits. | October 28, 2011 | American International Pictures

View attachment 6.jpg

Fireball 500 1966 Plymouth Barracuda: In this 1966 film, Frankie Avalon used this Barris custom to tow Richard Petty's stock car. It was a popular AMT model kit. | October 28, 2011 | American International Pictures

View attachment 7.jpg

Spenser: For Hire 1966 Ford Mustang GT: Filmed on location in Boston, the series put the Mustang on the city's narrow streets. | October 28, 2011 | Warner Bros.

View attachment 8.jpg

McQ 1973 Pontiac Trans Am SD455: One of the few cars John Wayne drove in a film. This green beast tours Seattle and is ultimately crushed in an alley. | October 28, 2011 | Warner Bros.

View attachment 9.jpg

Cobra 1950 Mercury: Eddie Paul reportedly built four '50 Mercs for this 1986 Sylvester Stallone movie. The movie is lousy, but the car is outstanding. | October 28, 2011 | Warner Bros.

View attachment 10.jpg

Leatherwood, Kentucky, 1964. "Cornett boys smoking by car." No after-school soccer for these lads.

View attachment 1.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1906. "The Fords, Rock Creek, zoo park."

View attachment 2.jpg

Washington, D.C, 1921. "Scripps-Booth Sales Co., 14th Street N.W." And one very shiny sedan.

View attachment 3.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1920. "Universal Auto Co., interior." The parts of old, beset by mold.

View attachment 4.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1920. "Universal Auto Co., interior." Our second look at this Ford dealership at 1529 M Street.

View attachment 5.jpg

Washington, D.C., or vicinity, 1924. Exhibit C in the Case of the Battered Buick -- our third photo with the caption "Max Wiehle" and our second look at this tattered Model T, which we can now see is at a "Repair Shop Garage." Where the mechanics seem to be following the baseball scores.

View attachment 6.jpg

1921. "Washington Rapid Transit Co. wreck." More vehicular mayhem in the nation's capital.

View attachment 7.jpg

Exhibit B in the Case of the Battered Buick is this twisted Model T. The second in a series of 1924 photos captioned "Max Wiehle." Max, son of the founder of the long-defunct Fairfax County, Va., hamlet of Wiehle Station, was a Washington, D.C., businessman who owned Potomac Sales, a car dealership.

View attachment 8.jpg

Washington, D.C., or vicinity, 1924. "Max Wiehle." Exhibit A in the Case of the Battered Buick.

View attachment 9.jpg

Ford meets lamppost in West Los Angeles on San Vicente Boulevard in the 1950s. Obviously a hard-hat area.

View attachment 10.JPG

Lake George, New York, circa 1908. "Garage interior, Fort William Henry Hotel."

View attachment 11.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1919. "Washington Battery Co., L Street." We saw the garage earlier..

View attachment 12.jpg

Washington, D.C., 1931. "Auto accident." I will leave it up to Shorpy Nation to determine the location and make of this dented dreadnought.

View attachment 13.jpg

Detroit circa 1917. "Looking up Woodward Avenue." A bustling vista last glimpsed

View attachment 14.jpg

Philadelphia circa 1907. "Entrance to Keith's Theatre." When was the last time you patronized your local vaudeville house?

View attachment 15.jpg

5.jpg4.jpg2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

Photo of Frank Modrowski and fiancee Jen Reidel on a 1941 Plymouth Deluxe. The photo was taken in Kitchener, Ontario during the summer of 1941 while Frank was on leave with the Canadian Army.

The photo was taken by a family member with a 35 mm camera. Frank tells me that the Plymouth was his father's, and the photo was taken in front of his parent's house. He also says that the Plymouth was a dark blue, and his uniform was a light tan -- standard summer issue for a Canadian private.

In the background is a one-pump Esso service station where gasoline was sold at 14 cents a gallon. The Coca-Cola sign displays the name of the service station owner; John Dziura.

6.jpg

Taken in 1951, after reviewing this photo, seat belts are a good choice.

7.jpg

Indianapolis, Indiana, 1969: My sister Anne, age 9, is on the left in the turquoise shorts. She and her classmate Anne B. are sitting in the B's family VW van ready to leave for their first trip to CYO Camp Rancho Fromasa (near Nashville, IN).

Anne B. appears (literally) not to be a happy camper. In fact my sister said that her classmate stayed unhappy the whole time they were at camp.

While cleaning up the image I realized that the body lying in the back seat reading a book is likely Anne B's older brother, and my classmate, Mark.

8.jpg

July 1940. Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. "Cherry pickers. Auto of migrant fruit worker at gas station."

9.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1920. "Wayne Smith Auto Co. -- wrecked Haynes sedan." Out second glimpse at the operations of this

10.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

"Wayne Smith Auto Co., front." Mr. Smith went to Washington, and built this dealership at the corner of M and 22nd. A street view of the building shortly after its completion in 1920.

11.jpg

Detroit, Michigan, circa 1910. "Brady -- Gas Company. Auto showroom." Star billing goes to the gas light fixtures above a Hudson center stage at the showroom of J.H. Brady, dealer in Hudson, Peerless and Pope-Hartford automobiles.

12.jpg

Detroit, Michigan, circa 1910. "Tourist Auto Co. (Tourist buses in front of church with Hotel Tuller at right)."

13.jpg

Great Aunt Clara Johnson and her brother Great Uncle Sam Sturlaugson who was born in Iceland. I am driving and although the plate says 1952 the year is 1955 as I am 4 years old here. Sam was a police officer before going into real estate with his sister Clara. She was widowed at age 23 and he never married, they lived together with their Mother Gudrun Helgidotter in a large house they built in Selkirk Manitoba all their lives, my Grandmother joining them in her later years. Gudrun had inherited a good sum of money from her Father Helgi Helgesson in Iceland and they used that to buy a fleet of houses, they became very wealthy. When Great Aunt Clara passed away in 1983 this car was still in the garage in mint condition. Clara had a sterling silver plate with her name engraved on it attached to the car, also a led box of sorts with her deceased dog , a poodle Francois who rode in the trunk....did I mention she was eccentric? Clara's son in law Axel Axelsson who was widowed from Clara's only child drove the car to Pasadena California where he lived, most likely sold it.

14.jpg

Marineland of the Pacific on the Palos Verdes Peninsula in 1956. Left to right are my two cousins visiting from Texas, myself, and my brother. Inside the 1955 DeSoto are my Granny and my Aunt. We are all enjoying our ice cream at the end of a day of watching the fishes. All but my little brother, that is. His ice cream has rolled out of the cone and can just barely be seen on the ground at his feet on the right. It wasn't the first or the last time that would happen to him.

15.jpg

:headbang:ron these are all very nice photos you have been coming up with ,but I`m starting to think you have to much time on your hands haha :hello2:

My dad's 1946 Dodge Custom Town Sedan. Notice that the rear doors are hinged on the center post and not "suicide" doors. The Town sedan was the only Dodge with this feature. We thought this was the fanciest car we ever had. Two-tone maroon and gray velour upholstery and a speedometer that changed colors according to your speed. 50 mph and above was red. Taken in Melvindale, Michigan, in 1948.

16.jpg

1926. "Semmes Motor Co. truck, Walter Brown & Sons." Another from National Photo's series of Washington, D.C., working trucks. This Dodge's battered body notwithstanding, motor trucks were a relative newcomer to a workaday world where dray wagons and horse teams had long dominated.

17.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1928. "Barrister Building, F Street N.W."

18.jpg

Washington, D.C., 1926. "Semmes Motor Co. -- Schindler's truck." From an interesting if moldy series of pictures showing Washington delivery trucks in their natural habitat of side streets and back alleys. Note the different varieties of "Wantmor" peanut butter sandwiches.

19.jpg

Washington, D.C., 1921. "Mrs. Phil Riley in St. Claire car."

20.jpg

Outstanding............Thank you Ron for shairing.

- - - Updated - - -

This has just made my day.............I love it.

I completely forgot about this thread. We'll never see those kind of simpler times again. Great old photos Ron.

Now I really enjoyed this thread you started on the old pictures. Very interesting Ron and nice job posting. Keep them coming.

Auto Transport Service
Back