• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old NASCAR was the best!

Back when only six cars finished the race!

I watched Nascar back then all the way up till Mopar went out in '71. Only watched it occasionally after that. I used to like Mark Martin for his sportsmanship, Dale the Intimidator for... well you know. Once they all became generic cars racing, not so interested anymore.

"After dominating the races in 1964, Chrysler's 426 Hemi was not allowed to compete in NASCAR's 1965 season due to its unavailability in production vehicles that are sold to the general public."

I watched it when it was on back in the early/mid 1970's.

I was lucky to see the Daytona 500 and nothing else.

Petty in the 74 Charger is still a strong memory.

I believe that 74 car also ran in 75.

Possibly even in 76.

The biggest mistake that IMO is easy to fix is when NASCAR went away from OEM factory sheet metal. Most fans have no clue what the chassis or brakes or safety equipment is under the sheet metal and don't care as long as its quick and loud, but looks like the car they drive. With poor aero you can put big engines back in, and control speeds by tire width and let the drivers drive. Also ought to make them use only one air wrench on tire stops, insane fast pit stops, should not be primary focus of the race, toss lucky dog, and segment racing. One of the best races I ever watched was Elliot going two laps down with a trans change mid race, and being on the edge of my seat wondering could he run down the field in time, and he did. Just like the last very wet Chicago Nascar race.

I attended nearly all the races at Daytona from 1960-71.

One favorite was when I was in the rear pit area (paddock?) in 1966? Firecracker 400 mid race, and Buddy Baker in a White Dodge had just taken the lead and was due for a pit stop. IMO Buddy was always an excited racing driver. So he over cooks his pit lane entry speed, (before there were any limits) and I look up and here comes Buddy easily over 100mph down pit lane, backwards, does a go around, losing the lead.

Those were great times.

Polaroid Pic Attached is Paddock 1964 Firecracker 400 Daytona

Richard Petty Daytona Car Hauler.jpg

Last edited:
NASCAR and NHRA Pro Stock have the same problem. The rules make all the cars just alike. What's the point of having a race if every car is the same? I miss the days when innovation won races.

I watched Nascar back then all the way up till Mopar went out in '71. Only watched it occasionally after that. I used to like Mark Martin for his sportsmanship, Dale the Intimidator for... well you know. Once they all became generic cars racing, not so interested anymore.

"After dominating the races in 1964, Chrysler's 426 Hemi was not allowed to compete in NASCAR's 1965 season due to its unavailability in production vehicles that are sold to the general public."
Yes, that, and gm, and ford bitched about the hemi. Instead of trying to compete with the hemi, they whined, and nascar relented, and granted gm, and ford their wish : can't beat 'em, cry loud enough to get your way.

NASCAR and NHRA Pro Stock have the same problem. The rules make all the cars just alike. What's the point of having a race if every car is the same? I miss the days when innovation won races.
Heavy corporate invovlement ruined motor sports, but I guess that had to happen, because "stuff" costs so much, and an everyday racer could not afford the parts, and related costs to race.

Yes, that, and gm, and ford bitched about the hemi. Instead of trying to compete with the hemi, they whined, and nascar relented, and granted gm, and ford their wish : can't beat 'em, cry loud enough to get your way.
Well the upside was Mopar was forced to sell Hemi's installed in production cars, and that was a great plus us guys, IMO.

GM and Ford had did compete; Ford developed their 427 overhead cam engine and Chevrolet had the 427 "Mystery Motor", when the 426 Hemi was banned those other two were banned as well. The Ford engine was banned first.

Last edited:

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw a V-8 rear wheel drive Toyota.

Nope, just their trucks and some models of Lexus. You wouldn't have seen the Toyota Century over here, it wasn't exported to America and anyway most of them were V-12 before 2018.

They were building Hemi RWDs in 64.
But ya from 90s up you could get the SC's , came with the 4L and bigger

Auto Transport Service
Back