• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old school football (real football)

Cheapsunglasses

In Rust We Trust!
Local time
3:21 PM
Reaction score
I’m not a huge sports guy, but I’ll watch a good game, and I really enjoy the old football games. Is it just me or do old guys seem waay bigger then the new guys, they seem to just walk through people and just break a tackle like nothing. It’s almost like the old guys are just going for a nice little walk, no drama, no showing off.

The majority of my interest in Football games was from 1984 to around 1993.
Joe Montana.
Jim Plunkett.
Dan Fouts.
Terry Bradshaw.
Joe Theismann.
Dan Marino.
Fran Tarkenton.
Earl Campbell.
Dan Pastorini.
Vince Ferragamo.
Joe Klecko.
Jack Tatum.
Good times....

This^^^^^
I was just telling my wife this earlier when we went to the Canucks game. We went to a place called the Pint for dinner and they had an old game on between the 49er's and Dallas
and was telling the wife that was when football was really fun to watch. I was a huge 49er's fan.

Been sayin this for years. The celebrating ruins it for me. There team can be losing and I guy makes a tackle and he dances, jumps, high fives etc. I go back to Vince Lombardi. Act like you've been there before.

The majority of my interest in Football games was from 1984 to around 1993.
Joe Montana.
Jim Plunkett.
Dan Fouts.
Terry Bradshaw.
Joe Theismann.
Dan Marino.
Fran Tarkenton.
Earl Campbell.
Dan Pastorini.
Vince Ferragamo.
Joe Klecko.
Jack Tatum.
Good times....
Yeah, I’d have to say 80s-90s was the Golden era.

They look so much bigger, so much tougher. The way they tackle, they wrap themselves around and try to throw the guy, but he just seems to brush it off and keep going. Or they’ll get hit hard enough it would kill today’s player, and they get right up like nothing happened

Sorry young brother but the newer guys are waaay bigger than the yesteryear dudes. Example - one of, maybe the most effective defensive ends from the 70-80’s period was HOF Allan Page of the Minnesota Vikings - not many could or would dispute that. Page through most of his career weighed 245 lbs until later on when he dropped to 225 thus causing a rift between he and Bud Grant his Hall of Fame coach. Page refused to go back up to his normal weight because he said this made him faster. The Vikes cut him then and he went on to play for the Chicago Bears and had several more very productive years. Alan Page is on the 100 best player team throughout NFL history. One of the 4 ferocious ‘Purple People Eaters’ - according to the Hall of Fame arguably tied as the best line in NFL history with the ‘Steel Curtain’ of Pittsburg of the same era.

Look at todays running backs - he would barely measure up at his max playing weight of 245. Never at 225.

There are no player positions hauling more weight than those of todays NFL teams.

Even quarterbacks are now weighing in at 6’6 245+. The day of the 6’ QB is long gone - a few left over like Russel Wilson but very few and the draftees are all taller bigger guys.

One minor correction on Alan Page. Page was a defensive tackle, not an end, which made it even more miraculous that he was named league MVP in 1970 (I think). First defensive player ever to win the honor !

The thing that has really ruined modern football, is there is too much technology and replays. You have refs on the field, let them call the game. The replays I think they should get rid of since they distract your attentiin away from the game. Don't get me started on all the stupid rules. There are so many of those that the refs, much like law enforcement, cannot fairly enforce them.

In old time football, men were men. They played hard, way harder than the sissies playing today that beg the refs for a penalty. I grew up with real football. I have a difficult time showing any interest in the game today.

I wish they would get rid of the stupid touchdown celebrations. Could you imagine someone doing that in front of Dick Butkus or Decan Jones ? They would get their heads torn off. And I'd like to see them back up the kickoff line. To many touchbacks. Kick returns were one of the more exciting plays in football.
Sometimes I get on You Tube and watch the old "This Week In Football" show from the 60's & 70's. It showed the highlights from all the previous weeks games. You can see some of the greats from back then.

Last edited:
I know the guys now are bigger, but they don’t look like it on tv

The shoulder pads are way more streamlined and more effective. Old pads depending on position were HUGE.

Guys are much faster now... way faster. I think the tackling at most levels is not as fundamentally sound. Lots of shoulder shots. The game would be a MASH unit if they could still use helmets as a weapon as back in the 70-80's. That was a rough time to play when getting earholed.

Pass interference calls are so soft anymore. Especially in the college games.

I think I figured it out while I was watching the Cowboy game on my phone. It’s the cameras! With the advances in camera technology, they don’t have to be so close to the players, they can be anywhere and still get good shots.

One minor correction on Alan Page. Page was a defensive tackle, not an end, which made it even more miraculous that he was named league MVP in 1970 (I think). First defensive player ever to win the honor !
You’re correct - sorry my mistake. Regarding the MVP Award - Yes Page was the first - One of only two. Alan Page and Lawrence Taylor are the only defensive players to ever win the NFL MVP award. Incredible.

The Cowboys definitely need Tom Landry back :rofl:
or a defense :poke:

They may not have been as big or even as fast in some cases
Real 'Old school' football
I like the old days from the mid-late 60's thru like 1984-ish
(I'm not a huge fan of before that era, I just didn't know it like I do others)
Jim Brown (Browns) how can you not like his running in that era (even Prior)
or George Blanda (Raiders) played to like 48 y/o

I was a diehard Fran Tarkenton fan (Vikings QB)
Chuck Foreman fan (#44 Vikings FB/RB)
Tom Landry (Detroit Lions QB) fan
Dick Buttkiss (Da' Bears MLB)
Tony Dorsett & Roger Staubach Fan (Cowgirls RB/QB)
Even a few (cheaten' dogs) Pitts Steelers,
Mel Blunt, Jack Hamm & Joe Green (DB/LB/DL)
Larry Czonka & Mercury Morris, Brian Grease, Killer Bees (Miami FB/RB/QB, Def.)

WRs don't know how easy they have it now
QBs too

An era with
(I started playing in 1967 PopWarner/Mustangs, finished in 1987-ish, Antioch Eels police league)
There were not all the overly "protection/protective" rules like today,
it truly was a different game, as a DE, 5-3 or 4-3 scheme usually
my job was up & in 1 yd each way & contain my side of the field,
turn it into the middle, if the ball wasn't coming my way,
& I was told by the DC defensive coach, then
"go hit the QB, whether he has the ball or not, after you contain",
unless the play was where I could get to them or coming my way...

I know why they have it now too,
way too much $$$ invested on the face of the team
QBs are coddled/way more protected today compared to back then
& they all still get hammered today, nothing like back then
(someone like Brady wouldn't have lasted 20 years back then)

(da' Raiders)
Marv VanEeagn #30 & Marv Hubbard #44 (#44 was my 1st # in football)
Kenny (Snake) Stabler & Jim (Kerplunket) Plunkett (QBs)
Rich Gannon (90s to early 2000s) an old guys-era type QB
Tim Brown, Fred Biletnikoff & Cliff (speed kills) Branch (WRs)
Dave (Ghost) Casper, Bob Chandler & Raymond Chester(TE)
Bo Jackson 'the best RB I ever saw', way too short of a career
'Bo Knows' (87-90)
Marcus Allen (SB MVP)
Jim Otto, Gene Upshaw & Art Shell (CTR/TKL/GD)
Matt Millen & Ted Hendricks, Howie Long (Defence LB/DE)
Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes, Jack Tatum & George Atkinson (DBs/Saftey)
Todd Christensen & Greg Townsend (TE/DL)
(almost all of them HOF-ers or should be)
almost all the Raiders from John Maddens rein as head coach
& the HC Tom Flores era (1st rd pick, 1st Latino QB & 1st Latino HC)
when my beloved Raiders were dominant
winning team spaning in/over 3 (4?) 60s 70s 80s
even into parts of the 90s & early 2000s, decades 89% wins
, even if they moved

I really like Bills QB Josh Allen today, even after he lost
& I'm not really a Buffalo fan
Guys like KC QB Patrick Mahomes is a freaken' phenom,
even if he's a "HUGE" Raiders rival

I like a lot of select players, not necessarily their teams

I can't stand the political BS propagated in the NFL
it's ruined it
I can't stand commissioner Roger Goodell

Last edited:
Money and the rule book have really changed the game. There’s some penalties that are necessary, but some seem to be to protect the over paid player from having a little boo boo.

I was noticing on some of the recent games you can see the guy go for a tackle and hesitate, it’s like he’s scared he’ll get a penalty or he’s worried about breaking s nail

maxresdefault_grande.jpg

Don’t care about football. Or pickup trucks. HOWEVER, it looks to me like they need to have a lawyer on the field with them advising on how to tackle. My mistake, watched the Niners almost puked everytime there was a shot of “Stop Racism” in big letters ON THE FIELD.

Auto Transport Service
Back