• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ONE MORE 18 INCH WHEEL QUESTION

Ray70Chrg

Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
I have read many, many posts on here about wheel and tire sizes, however, most are not about my particular car. I've gone over the 18 inch, gen 2 charger posts endlessly. Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, I'm asking for the final time if those of you who have put 18" wheels on a gen 2 charger if this change would have no problems with clearance. '70 Charger, stock suspension, HD leaf springs, stock front sway bar, torsion bars, 11in. Hd drum brakes.
I'm looking to purchase 18x8 wheels that have 0 offset. Tires are 245/50-18. I'm planning on all 4 being the same. It seems to me the rear wheels should be no problem at all, most of you doing this swap have gone to 10" or more and require about 5.25 backspacing. On my swap backspacing will be about 4.5. The front wheels are my biggest concern where the tire diameter is 27.65", thread width is 9.65" and backspacing will be the same as rear at 4.5". When I bought the car, the front tires were P245/60R-14 and diameter was 25.58. Rear setup was P255/60R-15 diameter 27.05". I had absolutely no problems with clearance. I appreciate your input and an option would be 245/45-18. I'm choosing the 50 aspect over the 45 aspect because they are $20 cheaper/tire for some strange reason. Thanks again

I fully understand the hesitation. It is a big expense and wheels make a huge statement.
My 18 x 9 front wheels have 4.75” of BS with a 275-40 tire and the only rub is the tire at the frame rail at full turn. My opinion...The 8” wide wheels will look narrow on the rear. The way the quarter panels bulge out more in the rear seem to beg for tires to sit out wide.

Last edited:
I fully understand the hesitation. It is a big expense and wheels make a huge statement.
My 18 x 9 front wheels have 4.75” of BS with a 275-40 tire and the only rub is the tire at the frame rail at full turn. My opinion...The 8” wide wheels will look narrow on the rear. The way the quarter panels bulge out more in the rear seem to beg for tires to sit out wide.
Thanks KD, I've looked at your post and the dimensions that you have used and your car looks great and I understand the look you are trying to achieve. I'm kind of trying to bring
more modern touches to the look of this car as I've seen in some of the ultra- customized chargers 1970-dodge-charger.jpg. I favor painted bumpers, no vent windows, shaved moldings, custom grill w/ headlamps exposed. The Gen 2 design is timeless and can look period correct even in the 2020s. Not many cars designs can claim that achievement.

A 17", but I can offer that when I ran my fury rims on my charger, the 28.5" tall fronts would catch the arch trim when backing up turning. You're talking significantly shorter however

Thanks Furious, that does help. It shows I have more than just a little bit of space.

Auto Transport Service
Back