• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One thing you could change @ Mother MOPAR

I’ll admit as a past owner of a ’70 Cuda and ’73 Challenger, the body was tinny. Ya didn’t wanna slam the doors hard cuz ya thought something might break. I recall telling my girlfriend, later my dear wife, don’t slam the friggin door! It’ll close just fine without the added uumph! Durability though? Tell me another make that could stand up to hard beat-the-**** run out better…just my pin.
/

I second that one. I've said it often after closing the door on NIKKI..... Another tinny Dodge... Bet the wife has heard it a hundred times

Wish they would have kept the 68-70 Charger body style a few more years....

Now THERE'S something I wish I could've changed.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....... My first “muscle” car was a 1973 Z28 one day I would like to replicate it. The second was a 1971 Corvette LS5 Roadster I completely restored with the original 454 that I stroked to a 496. Both of those cars were very fast, well designed and made. And aesthetically very pleasing to me. After having the GM’s I have to say the Mopar designs are similar and while we can and do deal with all the issues listed I find less to complain about with GM dare I say such a blasphemous thing here. I also think the 1970’s designs of GM looked more sleek especially the Camaro and Corvette. But there is definitely something to the Mopar designs thats a little more raw and gritty and tough that I find very appealing. When I think of a muscle car the BBody is what my mind thinks of first........

View attachment 944523 View attachment 944524 View attachment 944530

I may have to stand corrected; the 2nd gen f bodys are hot! When I was searching for cars in high school I dreamed of owning the 2nd gen Camaro RS in the movie Gumball Rally...

Use the same motor mount on the driver side for all la small blocks. The change might have been an assembly line identifier, I'm guessing. Still annoying!

Here is one that I have mentioned before.
The 68-70 Charger rear wheel tub had a crappy design that makes it difficult to avoid tire rub with a wide tire and a lowered stance.
Stock tub:
Wheel tub 1.JPG
Wheel tub 2.JPG

Here is a view with a quarter panel skin removed:
WW 1.jpg

Notice how the tub does not follow the edge of the wheel opening as shown with the green tape:
WW 2.jpg

THIS is what the factory should have done:
WW 5.jpg

^^^^^^^^ Designed before wide tires. Remember when 70 series tires came out ? They were considered WIDE !
For Me Mopar Performance should have kept their prices low and affordable. Bring back the $3500 360 crate engine.

My Mopar thoughts? The 426 hemi is the baddest motor ever introduced to a production model vehicle. The A833 manual is the toughest production transmission of all time. The Dana 60 is the biggest and heaviest rear end ever installed to a production passenger vehicle. Everything else? Could have been made better. From glass to wiring. What sells me the most on Mopar? Is design styling. Chrysler took bigger chances. And thus bigger rewards. And not all were home runs. Look at the Superbird? It sold horribly. But Chrysler looked at their new Roadrunner and said. "Nope. Needs more Cow Bell!" for Nascar.

My Mopar thoughts? The 426 hemi is the baddest motor ever introduced to a production model vehicle. The A833 manual is the toughest production transmission of all time. The Dana 60 is the biggest and heaviest rear end ever installed to a production passenger vehicle. Everything else? Could have been made better. From glass to wiring. What sells me the most on Mopar? Is design styling. Chrysler took bigger chances. And thus bigger rewards. And not all were home runs. Look at the Superbird? It sold horribly. But Chrysler looked at their new Roadrunner and said. "Nope. Needs more Cow Bell!" for Nascar.
So your saying your vote is for more cow bells if I am understanding you correctly? Lol great SNL skit!

This is something new. My new Durango has all the bells and whistles, but I don't like getting emails telling me how much air is in my tires, how many miles are on my vehicle, 12 point inspection through the computer of the vehicle and how long before my next oil change. That's intrusive and scary. Do they know where I go and when?.. WTF.

No right & left hand lug nuts
What exactly are you in disagreement with? Let's recap, posted my slant on fantastic engineering innovation, great body styles, durable motors and trains...you 'disagree' with all this?

I am going against the rules and picking more than ONE. Some have already been mentioned.
Put the starter and trans cooler lines on the RIGHT side so exhaust clearance is easier to get on the left side.
No LEFT hand threaded lug nuts.
ALL RWD cars should have had the same 4 1/2" bolt pattern with 1/2" lug bolts.
Voltmeter, not Ammeter. Eliminate the scary ammeter wire path in the process.
Same bellhousing pattern for all engines.
Better trunk weatherstripping. Almost every unrestored Mopar I've seen has at least surface rust in the trunk.
Kickdown cable instead of multi-piece linkage arrangement.
Agree; my ammeter wires did some damage to the BH and lucky no fire and tracking down electrical gremlins I found some wires connecting...ahh...that shouldn't in tiny fuse block. Given the dead space around the block wondered why not have made the block larger or enclosed connectors? Suppose cost and that someone wouldn't be concerned about it 50 years after mfg...lol

For all their bright ideas, I wish they could have designed them NOT to be rustbuckets waiting to happen...but I get it, they didn't figure on these babys lasting more than 10 years, much less people still trying to drive them in 2020. I also wish they'd have developed a better set of BB wedge heads and maybe intakes for the HP stuff after the Hemi came out. When a 440+6 car gets the same heads as a New Yorker, you know you're cheap bastards. Ma was good at cheap when she wanted to be.

And where did the whole 'Ma Mopar' thing come from anyway?!? I remember 'Ma Bell' in the old 'telephone company' days, but Ma Mopar? It always gave me visions of Minnie Pearl or Thelma 'Mama' Harper in Auburn Hills, sitting behind a big fancy desk telling people what to do..

Keep the trans drain plug like the earlier 727's and use a boot style seal on the dipstick tube instead of the o-ring.
Too many dealership techs were just draining the fluid and not changing out the filter on the cars with drain plug so the factory stopped doing it....plus it saved them a couple of bucks per unit to not do it.

Nobs, switches and mounting brackets. Start with turn signal switch? If a window crank breaks off in your hand? It's likely a Mopar!
Never had a problem with window cranks on a Mopar....are you sure you're not thinking GM? :D

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....... My first “muscle” car was a 1973 Z28 one day I would like to replicate it. The second was a 1971 Corvette LS5 Roadster I completely restored with the original 454 that I stroked to a 496. Both of those cars were very fast, well designed and made. And aesthetically very pleasing to me. After having the GM’s I have to say the Mopar designs are similar and while we can and do deal with all the issues listed I find less to complain about with GM dare I say such a blasphemous thing here. I also think the 1970’s designs of GM looked more sleek especially the Camaro and Corvette. But there is definitely something to the Mopar designs thats a little more raw and gritty and tough that I find very appealing. When I think of a muscle car the BBody is what my mind thinks of first........

View attachment 944523 View attachment 944524 View attachment 944530
For some reason, Corvettes seemed very difficult for me to work on and even the every day cars gave me more problems than any Mopar ever did as far as working on them goes. Black thumbs lol

This is something new. My new Durango has all the bells and whistles, but I don't like getting emails telling me how much air is in my tires, how many miles are on my vehicle, 12 point inspection through the computer of the vehicle and how long before my next oil change. That's intrusive and scary. Do they know where I go and when?.. WTF.
All the new cars are that way....and is one of the reasons I don't want one.

For my little tid bit of a complaint.....

My biggest complaint was with the B bodies that had the flip up glove box lid. Who in their right mind came up with that asinine idea!!?? All the other things listed here were very easily tolerated but that stoooooopid pos was the most idiotic thing ever. My very first ride in a 69 road runner showed me just how dumb it was when my buddy power shifted 2nd gear and the thing opened it's mouth and puked it's contents on me. Just glad there wasn't anything real heavy in it's gut like a gun or something. After all, this is Texas :D

Well I don't like it, big brother watching.
Lots of people don't know this but an accident investigator can download all the info of the last things a totaled out vehicle did including %'s of braking, throttle and time of it....and will do that if the vehicle operator is suspected of wrong doing.

Lots of people don't know this but an accident investigator can download all the info of the last things a totaled out vehicle did including %'s of braking, throttle and time of it....and will do that if the vehicle operator is suspected of wrong doing.
I get it, but I don't!! Can you imagine speed cameras on the interstate highways. Nothing but a money making machine. Safety my ***!!

Back in da day can't think of any car that survived salted roads; I undercoated my '73 Challenger soon after I bought it new as it was my daily driver well like all the nice cars before I had back when. That did squat by the time I sold it to my brother-in-law in '79 there was some serious rusting going on in the back wells. I bought a vette and was my 1st and last since not long after our 1st child arrived. It was a bitch to work on having to remove the radio once and even changing the plugs without some skin removed from the knuckles. One required jacking it up to get better access to the plug from below. As for today's cars, working on them in my pin, are for true die-hards with the right equipment and starting giving up on this years ago unless I could figure out what was wrong. They're rolling computers and when my scan kit I invested in went obsolete in short order, said enough. I save my car upkeep time to putz with my old ride. Got enough other chit to do as it is.

Power wires going through the firewall should not go through packard 56 connectors. Should go through a seperate bolted buss bar.
yeah that bulkhead connector block
was a real problem later on, as these cars aged

What exactly are you in disagreement with? Let's recap, posted my slant on fantastic engineering innovation, great body styles, durable motors and trains...you 'disagree' with all this?
Are you referring to me,I didn't disagree with anything

IMO in all the years
I'd say don't outsource the builds to other countries
don't sell off assets
to other car builders/companies out of country
I know it was to keep the damn doors open
I wish it was kept an American stable or North American at a min.
if they have to outsource to any country,
I'd still prefer it stay in the USA

yes, I know it was to keep them afloat
& to pay their management Big $$$'s salaries
& the UAW Detroit (other cities) union strong-arm extortion afloat

Keep the Plymouth brand
Keep the Ram, a Dodge Truck
& Kept the Dakota line going or bring it back
make a TRX 4x4 Raptor killer available
to the gen. public

make the Six Pak/6bbl or 2 x 4bbls available on more models
for a longer period of time

The 426 hemi was a stellar design

have better flowing cylinder heads from the factory
that is the biggest chock point in the MoPars performance engines
have engines with a longer stroke, than just 3.75"
make it an easier job to make them Factory strokers :poke:

make the internal webbing of all the blocks stronger/thicker
another engineering problem when the engine put out more than 425hp
& maybe even cross bolted (like the 426cid Hemi)
or 4 bolt mains vs 2 bolt mains

have the Dana-60 in more models as std. equipment

have the full time 4x4 W-series trucks etc.
be available with lock out/free winding hubs
like 99% of the automotive world had

have a leather or SE option available on all lines & models

have bucket seats & even console available in the 68 RR (no brainer)
they had them in the Sat. & GTX or sport sat even

have the electronic ignition far earlier, like in the real early 60's

have an electric window &/or rear window defroster option
in all the Midsize 5 cars

have the 426cid Hemi or some form of the RB style Hemi
even in lesser or Low deck (possibly)
all available earlier & for much longer
into the mid 70's

a wider engine bay on all cars
redesign the shock towers so they aren't in the way as much
especially for the B/RB or Hemi engine cars

other than that they were perfect