• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open spade on ignition switch?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
My 66 has an open spade terminal on the ignition switch. Is that a switched power connection by any chance?

I know - I should have checked it with a test light when I was under there but I didn’t think of it.

thanks

Ground, which A and B bodies don't use, but I THINK C bodies do... so if they share same switch, is for them

956e8d21-27db-417e-9278-fd8f79fd3c87_1.d47fd492ec6811ae35a6aae42474f70e.jpg

Yeap, this is a 68 Chrysler diagram, and they use it. One signal running to the cluster and the other one to another place... didn't track the full diagram

IMG_1196.jpg

You could get out your test light and see what it is.

That goes back to my initial post and going back out into the cold garage.

thanks Nacho.

Just need to add, this is an output signal, not an input. The input is taken through the chassis. So using a test light would work JUST if you know what kind of signal are you expecting on the prong, positive o negative... input or output, because on this specific test you wouldn't find any info using a test light like regulary is used around: searching for power against chassis/body ground.

Last edited:
Just need to add, this is an output signal, not an input. The input is taken through the chassis. So using a test light would work JUST if you know what kind of signal are you expecting on the prong, positive o negative... input or output, because on this specific test you wouldn't find any info using a test light like regulary is used around: searching for power against chassis/body ground.

sometimes up is down, except when down is left or right, but when it's down, it can be up but then it MAYBE right but never left except when its opposite up or down, then for sure its left or right, depending on one's viewpoint, which may be left or right or up and maybe down....
BOB RENTON

test light... tipically used with the clamp on body chassis to search for power ( positive ) with the tester point.

Auto-DC-6V-12V-Car-Truck-Voltage-Circuit-Tester-Pen-Detector-Probe-Continuity-Test-Light-Automobile.jpg

Try to find for a signal with a test light like regulary is used, the ground prong on ign switch won't give any signal ( or in any case a wrong signal ) to turn on the test light accordingly... so on the tipical use, the user could think the prong doesn't have any function, so must be clamped into a positive source to check that ground signal at the ign switch prong to get the light on at the switch action. Reversed than the regular use.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back