• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on intake manifold choice

440fish

Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
Just completed break in of my new 493 and i have been doing some research on carbs / intakes.

Currently i have a quickfuel 780 and performer rpm (these were on my 440 before the rebuild.) Im under the impression that this carb is probably on the smaller side of the range for this particular build and there may be better choices for the intake. My father has a Barry Grant 850 and a mopar M1 that he offered to give me. Do you guys think this would be a better combo for this application (street driven car?) From what im learning the single plane manifolds work pretty well on the stroker motors without the ill off idle effects on the smaller cid motors. At 900 rpms im getting 14" vacuum. The car runs perfect on pump 93 and i have never experienced detonation at any speed / load.

Here is the build:

493 CID Eagle crank / rods Wiseco pistons
Performer RPM heads 74CC / Purchased bare castings and my builder sourced Ferrea valves 10.5 :1
Harland Sharpe roller rockers
Comp Cams Extreme energy solid lifter: Lift .502 / .511 Duration @.50 236 / 242
2800 Stall converter. 3.23 gears (probably change to 3.54 down the road)
1.78 headers - 3" exhaust, 2 chamber flowmasters

Car runs really good and is a torque monster (what we intended for the build) and im surprised based on the mild nature of the cam that it pulls hard into the 5500 range. This is what leads me to believe some more carb / intake might be a benefit.

with any BB mopar, but more importantly strokers, you need air!

general rule of thumb, you need 16-20% more air flow out of the intake, over whatever your heads are flowing at max lift of your cam, or you are restricting the engine.

i have a performer RPM on my newest 440 build, the Stealth heads are flowing around 320 CFM after Hughes CNC full porting, but the intake out of the box is around 260 CFM. i sent my intake to them to have it flowed and reworked to get it over 335 CFM.

the only off the shelf BB mopar intake that flows anywhere near 300 CFM out of the box is the Edelbrock Victor single plane.

all others will need work

Leave it alone for street driving. There will be no benefit in switching to the M1 and an 850 in your rpm range.

From what I have read the M1 intake is the best one out there. Search google for the info there are lots of test info on all the intakes I use M1 and a 1050 Dominator but race only. I looked around for other intakes but this one provided the best test results. good luck.

On my 493 I use the basic Indy EZ heads and since its a street car I went with the Indy dual plane intake that looks alot like the Performer RPM with larger ports. And I use a standard Holley 850 DP. I like the setup alot as it has great driveability and runs strong at the track for what it is 10.70's on 92 pump and through the full exh system. A good dual plane works nice on the street at lower rpm. I am very happy with the Indy dual plane but I would like to try a single plane one day to compare it to. Usually the dual plane will have the better 60 ft as they have the better low end on many street combo's but the single plane will usually make the best power up top and give more mph. Ron

411609464.jpg

I had a dual plane offy manifold on my 460 Lincoln jet boat and it gave a lot of bottom power. It actually ripped the front seat out of the boat when I floored it. the only problem with that boat was it ran better in the driveway than the water. Ford I guess.

Leave it alone for street driving. There will be no benefit in switching to the M1 and an 850 in your rpm range.

My motor is very simular to yours and I'm running an 850, I tried a 750 this Summer and noticed little difference except a better idle. Another member on here had his motor (again, very similar) dynoed with both the 850 and 750 and only lost 6 hp on thr top end so to me for the street I'll take the improved throttle response and better tunability over 6hp. I'm switching to a 750 next summer .

The earlier post that said the Victor intake was best is correct on Edelbrock RPM heads. M1 you must check your spark plugs as #6 cyl. May run lean and you will need to run back jet on pass. Side richer if it is leaner.Good intake and not so high if hood clearance is issue.Victor is better if you have room. Sorry I have run them both in race applications.

Recently I was told that my 1050 is to big and an 850 4150 would perform better. This was from quick fuel tech. I hate playing around with 800 dollars if it doesn't work. Any input on this would be appreciated

M1 you must check your spark plugs as #6 cyl. May run lean and you will need to run back jet on pass. Side richer if it is leaner.
I do believe you have posted this info before. Correct?
Question ...... Have you installed the air dam's as per the MP Enginge book for the particular M1 intake your running to help correct the rich/lean condition your finding.
Recently I was told that my 1050 is to big and an 850 4150 would perform better. This was from quick fuel tech. I hate playing around with 800 dollars if it doesn't work. Any input on this would be appreciated
I think the advice your getting is really good and on target. While there is always wiggle room in this because of some people like this over that, it is all in the same general ball park.

Now the shortened RPM ceiling that you seem (or at least to me) be surprised at is the cams short duration probably advertised in the 2-6K range. Which gets shortened due to the extra jumbo size of the stroker. Big engines eat cam duration.

With this (mostly no brainer of for which you probably all ready know) the smaller carb, IMO, would be the best bet for this street runner. Your gear ratio is low. This makes a larger venturi carb harder to dial in. The problem grows with a single plane intake. Go for the drivability.

Now if you had a set up with 50% more gear, stall, cam and a single plane, the carb choice changes. Larger it would be.

Just completed break in of my new 493 and i have been doing some research on carbs / intakes.

Currently i have a quickfuel 780 and performer rpm (these were on my 440 before the rebuild.) Im under the impression that this carb is probably on the smaller side of the range for this particular build and there may be better choices for the intake. My father has a Barry Grant 850 and a mopar M1 that he offered to give me. Do you guys think this would be a better combo for this application (street driven car?) From what im learning the single plane manifolds work pretty well on the stroker motors without the ill off idle effects on the smaller cid motors. At 900 rpms im getting 14" vacuum. The car runs perfect on pump 93 and i have never experienced detonation at any speed / load.

Here is the build:

493 CID Eagle crank / rods Wiseco pistons
Performer RPM heads 74CC / Purchased bare castings and my builder sourced Ferrea valves 10.5 :1
Harland Sharpe roller rockers
Comp Cams Extreme energy solid lifter: Lift .502 / .511 Duration @.50 236 / 242
2800 Stall converter. 3.23 gears (probably change to 3.54 down the road)
1.78 headers - 3" exhaust, 2 chamber flowmasters

Car runs really good and is a torque monster (what we intended for the build) and im surprised based on the mild nature of the cam that it pulls hard into the 5500 range. This is what leads me to believe some more carb / intake might be a benefit.

Leave it like it is if you are satisfied.Cam is soft,converter is low,gearing too high,and too week( you will need a Dana60 eventually to handle the power) headers are small, carb is small, bigger tires/rims etc. If you start changing things to pep it up you will get into all the things i mentioned ( thousands of dollars ) and in the end you will have a race engine that is not happy on the street.Great motor you have there now.If you are happy drive everywhere and enjoy it.Race motors need a lot to keep going. Sorry i went that way.I had a 440 to 496 and now a 572.It turns into a disease. Have fun, good luck !

Wow!
A lot of info to digest here and it seems that:

1. If you are NOT racing, leave it alone as IQ52, purplebeeper and 19polara64 have stated.

2. If you are RACING, then yes, bigger cube engines need the more AIR as mentor70 and others suggest.

The big thing is to be honest with yourself....
Are you street driving OR racing?

I run a Performer RPM and a Demon 850 with vacuum secondaries on my 440/493.

- - - Updated - - -

I made the most power with a 1150 cfm Dominator on my 451 stroker. A minimum of 500 lb-ft of torque from 3,500 rpm to 7,600 rpm. If your combination is working, I wouldn't change the carburetor.

Have a Quick Fuel 850 carb on my stroker. Like another member said if your combination is working, I'd leave it

I do believe you have posted this info before. Correct?
Question ...... Have you installed the air dam's as per the MP Enginge book for the particular M1 intake your running to help correct the rich/lean condition your finding.

I think the advice your getting is really good and on target. While there is always wiggle room in this because of some people like this over that, it is all in the same general ball park.

Now the shortened RPM ceiling that you seem (or at least to me) be surprised at is the cams short duration probably advertised in the 2-6K range. Which gets shortened due to the extra jumbo size of the stroker. Big engines eat cam duration.

With this (mostly no brainer of for which you probably all ready know) the smaller carb, IMO, would be the best bet for this street runner. Your gear ratio is low. This makes a larger venturi carb harder to dial in. The problem grows with a single plane intake. Go for the drivability.

Now if you had a set up with 50% more gear, stall, cam and a single plane, the carb choice changes. Larger it would be.
i think the QF 850 is where I should go now I think what manifold??? Have a single plane but now looking at elbrocks dual plane for the 4150

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back