• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB (Or rent?) RB intermediate distributor bushing install tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Looking to buy or rent a bushing install tool for a 440. Can’t find the tool anywhere- all backordered and it’s starting to hold up my build.
Thanks!
Sonny

Install the bushing with the pump drive shaft and gear. It only has a 0.0015 press on it.
You can drive it in with a small dead-blow and a block of wood! If you want to be REALLY
careful, Have a machine shop machine a "Starter" on the first 1/8" diameter of the bushing
and about 0.002 undersize and use a piece of threaded rod and nuts and washers all the
way down to the surface where the oil pump sits. Tighten the nuts and pull the bushing into
place.

Installation is easy but, it should be burnished after installation to properly seat, size, and retain the bushing in the block.
Mike

This is the solution to your problem. Its a pin gauge available from places that sell precision tools and such. Just tap it through the bushing after you've installed it per post #2

Dist bushing burnisher.JPG

Based on Stanton's recommendation, I just ordered the z pin gage from GageShop.com. It asks if you need plus or minus, I ordered plus. They're about $5 a piece plus shipping ($9.25).

Seems the $104 Proform 66488 is out of stock at Jegs and Summit?
OTC 6293 version off Amazon, get it Friday $179: Amazon Link

They call it a "reamer" but it actually just expands the bushing to a tight fit in the block and the proper clearance for the oil pump shaft. And that's if you have a bushing that actually needs it. I think nine out of ten bushings you buy will be "press fit" with close to the proper shaft clearance.

How many do you plan to install. The pin gauge is $5 and a hammer is in most toolboxes !!

Got my z pin gage from GageShop.com today, which is Meyer Gages online store. They even provided a Certificate of conformance letter which in aerospace, is very important. Highly recommend Gage Shop.com, and not just because they're in Connecticut.

This is the solution to your problem. Its a pin gauge available from places that sell precision tools and such. Just tap it through the bushing after you've installed it per post #2

View attachment 1319389
So is 0.4860 the size I need?

Nah, I just posted that size for the hell of it !!!

FWIW, the +/- tolerance is .0002 so don't be concerned - take whichever is in stock

I think this video sums up what we're trying to do here!

I have one if you want to borrow it. I'm in Okeechobee. Mopar CYC3053A

Chuck (snook)

MOPAR CYC3053A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back