• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orange ECU from Mancini?

Wow way more information than I thought I would get when I started this thread. I guess my only question is do these new Mopar boxes have any new technology in them? Has anyone cut one open. I see they don't have heat sinks and the transistor is fake. Is the new "circuit board just poorly made" or was the old stuff just better components. You would think today with modern electronics they could do better? My knowledge of electronics is very minimal compared to others on this site!

That link has a bunch cut open. Best bet is the FBO box or the High Rev ones.

I guess I'm glad I kept my 3690258 box and the coil & ballast resistor. It ran past 7000 RPM and never failed in two seasons. Even if it's old sounds like better than a lot of new stuff. Even it's a "race only" part I bet it outlasts a lot of modern stuff. Just say'in.

No idea about the quality of the Mancini orange box...
Really depends upon the manufacturer, power transistor grade and supporting production process. But since we have been sourcing electronics from China for >25 years, really depends upon the factory and the buyer's audit/outgoing quality control and reliability testing. Just to give U guys some idea about ignition components from China, I have been quoted in small production lots Mopar ECUs 100 pcs $4.25 and Mopar RB electronic distributors 100 pcs $24.75...

Just my $0.02....

No idea about the quality of the Mancini orange box...
Really depends upon the manufacturer, power transistor grade and supporting production process. But since we have been sourcing electronics from China for >25 years, really depends upon the factory and the buyer's audit/outgoing quality control and reliability testing. Just to give U guys some idea about ignition components from China, I have been quoted in small production lots Mopar ECUs 100 pcs $4.25 and Mopar RB electronic distributors 100 pcs $24.75...

Just my $0.02....
Wow I guess we need more people to report back on these units.

Wow I guess we need more people to report back on these units.
The problem is these old cars don't get enough use. At least mine doesn't. I wish I could use it more!

Still no rev limiter???
That was the appeal of the FBO box and the Rev-N-Nator units.
FBO would make a killing by painting their box orange and grafting on the heat sink with cutout for the rev limiter. Everyone loves the orange box except for the high failure rate.

That's genius! :) I'd have to opine that the failure rate of HEI is much less than the orange ecu.
Could be somewhat true... bit I'd also opine that the majority of those failures are directly traced back to all the home engineers that wired them wrong with wrong ballast usage.
Good parts can be wrecked by dumb people.

That's genius! :) I'd have to opine that the failure rate of HEI is much less than the orange ecu.
Re the module failure rate comparison rates, to accurately forecast the HEI vs Mopar
Orange box (or other the other variations), one would need to know the TOTAL NUMBER OF EACH and the total number of failures of each to compare. I would think that the total number of GM HEI modules produced far exceed the total number of Mopar modules but the (HEI modules) exceed the Mopar units. One would need to plot a normal bell shaped distribution curve to accurately predict life expectancy of each type of module or MTBF rate based on statistical analysis.......just my opinion
BOB RENTON

Re the module failure rate comparison rates, to accurately forecast the HEI vs Mopar
Orange box (or other the other variations), one would need to know the TOTAL NUMBER OF EACH and the total number of failures of each to compare. I would think that the total number of GM HEI modules produced far exceed the total number of Mopar modules but the (HEI modules) exceed the Mopar units. One would need to plot a normal bell shaped distribution curve to accurately predict life expectancy of each type of module or MTBF rate based on statistical analysis.......just my opinion
BOB RENTON
Cool. Come up with that data and I will take a look. :rofl:

But there are a ton more vehicles (no, I don't know exact figures) running on the factory GM HEI than on an aftermarket late 60's / early 70's Mopar. There just aren't a lot of our cars left on the road. I've read a bunch of stories about the newer orange box taking a dump.

So yes, I would trust a 70's/80's factory GM module over a replica of a 60's/70's Mopar ignition.

But there are a ton more vehicles (no, I don't know exact figures) running on the factory GM HEI than on an aftermarket late 60's / early 70's Mopar. There just aren't a lot of our cars left on the road. I've read a bunch of stories about the newer orange box taking a dump.

So yes, I would trust a 70's/80's factory GM module over a replica of a 60's/70's Mopar ignition.

I was just speculating as to the number of failures of the orange ECU vs the HEI module. I have no data or access to the actual number produced. It would be interesting to see what the failure rate is from a specific vendor.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back