• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Organisol Paint questions.

Well, This makes me feel better. I was thinking that I had just messed up.
I have just never painted textured paint before and wasn't sure if I had done it correctly.
I wanted the Organisol paint because that is what was recommended and I'm not unhappy with the results. Just wanted some confirmation.
Thanks for all the replies and help. You guys are the best.
JKent

The '69 Road Runner stripes were done with Organisol. I couldn't tell you if or where it was used on other years or models. The A12 cars got a semi-gloss or satin finish - most likely the hoods came from the supplier that way. As much as I like the organisol, its a bitch to keep clean.

Well, This makes me feel better. I was thinking that I had just messed up.
I have just never painted textured paint before and wasn't sure if I had done it correctly.
I wanted the Organisol paint because that is what was recommended and I'm not unhappy with the results. Just wanted some confirmation.
Thanks for all the replies and help. You guys are the best.
JKent
Looks like you followed the instructions to a T. I would say we'll done. It used to be tricky to get an even texture on a large surface.

We did organisol on my 69 Coronet R/T hood. Yes, it is textured and feels almost like sand paper but not that rough.

Coronet pics #2 006 [640x480-2].jpg

I had read somewhere it even varied from plant to plant. I think I read that the St. Louis switch to flat black for RR/GTX stripes. Wish I knew where I read that.

When I bought my '69 RR in '73 the stripes looked to be more "flat" than anything else. And I knew nothing about "organisol" back then. At some point I made a 'glass mold from that hood and it took very little effort to prep the surface so that pretty much confirms that my stripes were flat or very close to it.

From personal experience, I have found the factory Organisol was not textured like we see nowdays. I had an original paint 69 Road Runner with blackout hood stripes, and two 69 Charger R/T's with blackout tail panels. All 3 were original paint Organisol finish. In the unfaded areas, such as when the windshield was removed in the Road Runner, and behind mouldings and tail lights on the Chargers that never saw sun or wear, the original finish was clearly a metallic flat black.
Not textured.
I still have one fender from the Road Runner that shows it. All these restored cars like AAR Cudas etc with textured Organisol, are not really correct. Modern paints use a suede additive, that makes them textured. Looks cool, but not accurate to original.
The paint used on B and E body dashes IS textured, and the suede finish is correct.
This was sprayed, not electrostatic applied. It was simply textured, flat lacquer paint sprayed on the dashes and steering columns etc.
Most A bodies use ordinary flat black on the dash and columns however. Probably because they were lower cost cars, and it was one way of saving money for higher profits.

They may have used different paint in different plants as mentioned above

I was wondering if someone could help out. I ordered some paint from 8774paint1.com
I ordered 1/2 gallon of the Organisol SEM 61993 and painted the hood and scoop on my 1966 Coronet.
I mixed the paint exactly like I was told and the paint laid down and covered quite well but the texture is a little rough.
It feels like 1000-grit sandpaper. It was supposed to be a single-stage paint no clear needed but I don't like the texture.
Is this paint supposed to be a little rough or is it supposed to be smooth? It's almost like it dry sprayed. I have painted several cars , motorcycles, and boats and never had a problem like this before. The entire hood is uniform in texture. What recommendations do you have and is there a way to salvage this paint?
Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, JKent
View attachment 1346212View attachment 1346214View attachment 1346215View attachment 1346213
Nice will one quart do the hood stripe on a 70 rr ?

Auto Transport Service
Back