• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 1968 GTX

I’m basing following comments on early 68 Coronet R/T instead of GTX, but I’m assuming running changes would have been similar. Appears to have been a pretty early build car based on the SPD of 705, or July 5.

1. It has later style pull out metal faced ashtray instead of earlier padded one that slides down.

2. Has later 1 - 15 speedo instead of earlier 10 - 150 speedo.

3. Has earlier graphic on water temp.

4. Has later padded horn button instead of chrome one.

5. Appears to Have later style rectangular vent pulls instead of round ones.

6. Appears to have incorrect for 68, or early 68 (don’t know when they were moved), interior door lock button location. They were moved further back by a bit by 69. When you put your arm on window sill early location ones are right where you rest your arm. It could just be poor photo quality though, difficult to see clear enough.

My 68 R/T has a later SPD of 911 and has all the earlier features mentioned. None of the later.

no, it is not an early but a very late car !
Production started first of august 1967 officially and ends in July 1968.

Carsten

So what you are saying is all these things are incorrect or mismatched to date code on car???Here is photo of lock location,is this correct?

LOCK.jpg

definetly not original

Carsten
Any guesses on why in the world the top would get changed on a car like this?I guess to put back correct if you can would be expensive?Maybe the California sun was rough on it?

Last edited:
Any guesses on why in the world the top would get changed on a car like this?I guess to put back correct if you can would be expensive?

Maybe rust under the original they are famous for that or a tear, scratch, or stain.

Or PO just liked it better.

Not crazy expensive but others can comment on recent prices.

Are you thinking of a 67?
I bought a set of Chrome covers that came off of an original 68 GTX. Also have a friend that has a 68 GTX convertible and it has chrome covers.
Hope some of the original 68 440 owners can verify what covers they had. I don’t like to post wrong information.

Any guesses on why in the world the top would get changed on a car like this?I guess to put back correct if you can would be expensive?Maybe the California sun was rough on it?

two options:
either rust or sun damage.
But if it was sun damage: The paint of the car wouldn't look like it does now

I think the car has been refurbished once. At least an outside respray and new v-roof.
It doesn't mean it is a bad car just not the survivor as them claim it to be.

I would check the trunkfloor (without mat), lower rear quarters and trunk extensions in the bottom where they meet the quarterpanel.

Carsten

Expect to pay about a grand to 1,300 to purchase the material and have it professionally installed.

If that car was sitting out in the California sun long enough for the top to be ruined then there's no way that the original paint could have survived. That car is most likely repainted, as has been previously suggested...

Auto Transport Service
Back