• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Magnum 500 wheel Identification help

albert 5694

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
I am looking at putting the original magnum 500 wheels on my 1969 Plymouth GTX i was looking in my original 1969 service manual and it says for Satellite (B bodie) with front disc it would have used a (14 x 5 1/2 JK special) wheel as apposed to the 14 x 5 1/2 J can anybody tell me the difference between the J and the JK special designations and how to tell if i am looking at the right wheel I assume it has something to do with the back space /offset? My service manual also says it will fit with a 11.19 size dia. rotor. This wheel would have been used with a F70 tire listed for a car with 440 and air conditioning. Any guidance on what wheel i am looking for would be gratefully appreciated. Note the service manual also says if the brake rotor is 11.75 then it would have been a 15 x 5.50-15 x 6.50 i think that was only Hemi cars?

Unless it just a show car I would not recommend doing it. Even though they came from the factory that way traction and handling was far from desirable with such small tires.

Unless it just a show car I would not recommend doing it. Even though they came from the factory that way traction and handling was far from desirable with such small tires.

I agree. I just took mine off and put on radials and torque d wheels. What difference. I can now just preserve the magnums and red lines for shows.
The correct wheels for the 69 road runner are chromed and then painted black (like magnums are) with brushed trim rings. I imagine the gtx is the same? I don't know if they'd fit over disc brakes. They fit over 11x3 drums....

Thanks for the info i understand but i need to change to something else as the combo i have now it was on the car and i do not like it with the bigger tires in the rear and smaller ones in the front i just want to convert it back to the same size (not necessarily stock size) for better handling and so i can rotate the tires like your suppose to do and that is hard to do with different sizes on the car because you are never suppose to change direction on a tire once you run it. dose anybody have a recommendation as far as a tire wheel combo close to stock that works good. Radial tires are fine just like the stance and look of stock.

The stock tire is 26-26.4" tall depending on the tire. My Goodyear polyglas f70-14's say they are 26.4" tall which they do measure that when I checked. A 215/70r-14 is probably closest to that.

A 215/70r15 measures I think 26.9" tall and fills the wheel well better.

Are you going to put. So many miles on this car that you. Really have to worry about rotating tires?

I really like the stance and look of the factory set up i am not against using updated components i just want to keep as close as possible the factory stance and look

265 x 60 x15 on 15x7's.
27.5" tall with some meat on the road. My RT with that size at least not longer feels suicidal when I step into it.

Auto Transport Service
Back