• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overcharging Help!

69 GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
So I have a 85 W350 that's over charging. I've installed a relay to make sure VR gets full battery voltage. Put several new ground wires on alt. case, VR, engine, chassis, and frame. Checked voltage at alt, and ohm'd field wire. Put on a new VR. Can't figure it out. Is it possible I have a bad battery? I've been fighting this for 3 days now and am getting close to hammer throwing. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

I have encountered similar things from time to time over the years and if possible, I try and change out the alternator, VR and battery at the same time and see what the result is (should be good), if it is I swap out the battery and see what happens, if it is still good and test the alternator first and maybe swap it is or just leave what I have.

I may swap out the battery to see if it's got a bad cell. I'm trying to isolate the problem instead of just throwing parts at it.
Thanks

My 77 Ramcharger started to overcharge and I finally found out the problem was the plug that goes into the voltage regulator was bad one of the female pins wasn't making a very good connection and it made the alternator go crazy and started to cook the battery before I got it home. I replaced the connector and all was good.

I'm wondering how to check the green wire going from the VR to the field terminal on the alt.? It Ohm'd ok but what should it read while running?

Does it stop charging when the green field wire is removed? It should stop charging. If it still is charging, check the alternator brush holder for shorting to the case.

I have encountered similar things from time to time over the years and if possible, I try and change out the alternator, VR and battery at the same time and see what the result is (should be good), if it is I swap out the battery and see what happens, if it is still good and test the alternator first and maybe swap it is or just leave what I have.
That's a pretty expensive way to chase down a problem.

go to my mopar on you tube they have factory training films on this subject

That's a pretty expensive way to chase down a problem.

Yes it is if you are buying all of that new, but I should have been clearer; what I was truing to say is that "if" I have spares I swap them in, however I agree that it is not a good technique for diagnosing the actual problem.

test the battery
test the alternator
if it is still having issues, change out the VR

I think I have it narrowed down to the battery or alternator. I will check the green lead and pull it to see if it's the alt. If it's not the alt or battery I may convert to a single wire alt.

Well I feel pretty stupid, found the problem! The battery in my multi meter was way low, and giving me bad readings. Well at least I figured it out and also found 4 other things that eventually would have stranded me.......

Auto Transport Service
Back