• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overdrive Pulleys

71_Duster

Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
Looking at the march high water flow v-belt pulleys. Has anyone run them? Thinking of trying a set on my 440 for better cooling and fan speed in traffic.

I don't know if this info will help, but I'll share my experience. I've a 440 (a'69 unit) w/ a Fluidamper (motor was assembled in Spring '97). March had pullies for such a set-up. The kit (forgot the #) came w/ crank pulley, WP pulley, & alt pulley. First problem, clearance issue between WP pulley & water pump. When you torqued the March pulley down, it locked the pump down. Think like putting a brake drum wheel on disc brakes. Second problem, I had an alignment issue w/ the crank pulley lining up w/ WP, alt & PS. Had to shim out WP pulley, build out brackets here, a nightmare! Now, I've got a hodge-podge of pulleys. I kept the crank pulley from March, but the WP, PS, & alt pulleys are factory. Still have an alignment problem. I had to press the nose (where fan & pulley bolt up) of the WP in a little to get things lined up. Situation is not perfect,but I'm not slinging belts @ least.

As far as different pulley sizes, what is on their right now? Plymouth used different pulleys and also different water pumps depending on things like A/C or not. I can't speak for your year but in 1970 the standard pulley ratio was .95:1 while the A/C ratio was 1.4:0. This matches the different water pumps, with standard having a 4.375" eight blade impeller while the A/C was 3.5" six blade.

Making sure that you have the right pump right now might make the difference.

By the way, nice picture of the '67 in your photos. BC plate on it?

Currently have no idea what all my pulleys came from. I have to run the Jaguar based fan clutch seen on the website but I don't think it pulls enough air at idle.

I'm running the Milodon water pump with the anti-cavitation plate now. Everything lines up well and I have no belt issues just looking for ways to move the fan/coolant a bit faster.

The jag clutch is their normal duty until that was spec'd on lots of 60's and 70's cars. I know a lot of guys online say it's only for plastic fans, but it's not, it's just that it is designed for (IIRC) 2.5" or less fan blade pitch. To me it sound like your issue is airflow, not water flow, so I would look at the fan. Is it an OEM 7 blade unit? Is it the correct distance from the radiator core? Are you running a shroud? This is the direction I would take before messing with pulley ratios.

Cooling system wise there is nothing left to look at. Shroud, new Wizard big tube rad, 7 blade factory fan, t-stat, timing, tuning etc. However the pulleys would also speed up the fan as well.

Plus when I go power steering I will need new pulleys so wanted to see if it was worth the extra money.

Auto Transport Service
Back