• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overdrive transmission that mounts behind an RB 440 engine

Jm's71

Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for an overdrive transmission to put behind my 69 440 in my charger. any suggestions or kit info please advise. Tired of high freeway speed revs.

i know your pain , i put 355 gears in my six and the revs were too high . i found on e bay the wilco adapter for slant six and used the 700r4
i love it now on highway she purrs at 2100 at 70 . got the speedo gear perfect and fit the 90 angle adapter from a corvette kept the original speedo cable too. the weathers gone bad here so it s going in my garage beside my wife fiat 500 2013 for winter boo who whoo!!

SMR 727 'Shortie' O/D kit,
like $3015 added to price of trans selected IIRC

(or self install)
you can get the kit separately too
don't remember the actual costs $3115 (?)
(gear venders O/D unit & SMR adapter etc. IIRC)

SMR 727-TF shortie overdrive Gear Venders Kit #SM225-SOK$3115.50.jpg

these are supposed to be really the cool deal

I knew a guy who had one
he's sold the car since, he loved it raved about it

he recommended me to them
I haven't bought any "yet"

sorry I don't remember the exact cost

SMR Trans "Shortie Overdrive" 727tf w/OD
http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id32.html
but they ain't cheap, but little to no mods
obviously need to do a driveshaft shortening
some require a dent in the floor to clear the speedo adapter etc.

check it/them out

this is a stock photo from them in a Dart
SMR 727 Shortie OD -in a Dart-.jpg

Last edited:
we'll worth the money i say, what it does is makes you drive your car. Because now you have beer mileage and more range out of a tank
My slant six with my twin webers . getting 20 plus miles to the gallon with 4 people in the car, and full off luggage driving through the Adirondacks

SMR 727 'Shortie' O/D kit,
like $3015 added to price of trans selected IIRC

(or self install)
you can get the kit separately too
don't remember the actual costs $3115 (?)
(gear venders O/D unit & SMR adapter etc. IIRC)

View attachment 679389
these are supposed to be really the cool deal

I knew a guy who had one
he's sold the car since, he loved it raved about it

he recommended me to them
I haven't bought any "yet"

sorry I don't remember the exact cost

SMR Trans "Shortie Overdrive" 727tf w/OD
http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id32.html
but they ain't cheap, but little to no mods
obviously need to do a driveshaft shortening
some require a dent in the floor to clear the speedo adapter etc.

check it/them out

this is a stock photo from them in a Dart
View attachment 679388
Gear vendor overdrive, mine was 2600 8 years ago. It will handle anything you throw at it . 22 to 25 percent overdrive. Turns a three speed into a 6 speed. In the auto mode it goes into overdrive at 45mph and drops out under 45. You can not break it. It comes with a button on a gear shift knob or a switch on the floor just like a dimmer switch for your headlights. Bad to the bone!!!!

I'm looking for an overdrive transmission to put behind my 69 440 in my charger. any suggestions or kit info please advise. Tired of high freeway speed revs.

There are a few options, none of them perfect. You didn't say whether you're looking for auto or manual. That is the first thing to figure out and then you can go from there. I've had a Doug Nash 5 speed in my B body for 30 years so I was probably one of the first guys with a five speed in a Mopar B body. I swapped it in back in the late 80's before anyone sold a kit.

I copied this that I said about GV earlier...... I had a GV behind a Coan TH350 extreme turbo trans. The engine was a 383 stroker with around 525 HP. The reason was a built 350 automatic is about 1400 bucks, any other new electronic overdrive trans for a chevy was 3 times that much. In most cases the overdrive in most transmissions years ago when I started my build would not hold up. The GV overdrive unit you buy once and NEVER think about it again. If the 350 takes a dump just replace it and go on. You removed the tail shaft on the 350 and bolt the GV on. A hammer to to in large the tunnel about a 1/4 inch was all that was needed. No extra bracing for the GV was needed. You can put it on another trans by just buying the adapter between it and the new trans you are using, 700 bucks. Gms Callaway Corvettes came factory with the Th400 Gear Vendors, why, they didn't have a gear box that could handle it at the time.

An A-518/46RH is an option, Ive got one in my dart. No electronics involved except the OD button. I forget what the 4th ration is but at 65 its about 2200 rpm.

An A-518/46RH is an option, Ive got one in my dart. No electronics involved except the OD button. I forget what the 4th ration is but at 65 its about 2200 rpm.
Do you what year your a518 came out of? I have a 1995 a518, and it required a stand alone computer. I would be very interested in finding one that does not require a computer for a future project.

Do you what year your a518 came out of? I have a 1995 a518, and it required a stand alone computer. I would be very interested in finding one that does not require a computer for a future project.

The 1992-1997 transmissions dont require a computer - these are referred to as 46RH transmissions - there is a lockup and non-lock up version. (driver side connector has 2 pins for non lock up and 3 for lock up)

The later year ones are 46RE trannies which require electronics

The later year ones are 46RE trannies which require electronics
My 1995 trans is a 46rh, but I'm also running the Compushift mini. I wasn't sure you could run the trans without a controller. Where did you run the 5 volt of power from?

Auto Transport Service
Back