• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PA Turnpike tolls......

Example: From New Jersey, to go visit family or friends on Long Island, round-trip will cost $39 just to go over 2 bridges. In a car. You want to ride the city subway or bus ? That'll be $2.75, please. Of course, that's if you actually pay to ride. A certain element of society has gone on a fare-beating rampage these last 3 years, costing the city BILLIONS. Jump over turnstiles and barge onto the buses without paying. Guess who's left to pay the difference ? Oh, yeah, the tolls SUBSIDIZE mass transit.

Here in NY we started seeing cashless tolls and eliminating toll operators in 2021(ish). Until we got acclimated to the new process, the bills would catch us by surprise. And they’d be pretty hefty at times as they’d often accumulate significantly before we received a bill. We now use an E-Z Pass and get alerted regularly of the balance so it’s less of a shocker for us.

We come from the Akron Ohio area to Carlisle. A couple of years ago one way from the state border to Carlisle was around $27.00 in a pick up truck, so roughly $54.00 there and back. This year the bill came in the mail and was just under $120.00!! So it more than doubled for us...

If you get an “easy pass” it drops tolls in 1/2…. I end up using it more than I like that’s why I got it… As far as employees that happened near Covid and then they realized they didn’t need that expense… Trucking companies owe millions. It’s going up like EVERYTHING else is though but I heard things are GREAT!!

I read somewhere, that not including bridges, the PA Turnpike is the most expensive toll road per mile in the world. I can't verify that is true or not, but I will say the costs are ridiculous.

The problem with the PA Turnpike is that very often it is by far the fastest way to get somewhere. But more and more, I say screw 'em and I spend the extra time whenever I can.

I read somewhere, that not including bridges, the PA Turnpike is the most expensive toll road per mile in the world. I can't verify that is true or not, but I will say the costs are ridiculous.

The problem with the PA Turnpike is that very often it is by far the fastest way to get somewhere. But more and more, I say screw 'em and I spend the extra time whenever I can.

1691927433909.png

The U.S. States That Spend the Most on Their Highway Systems - Parker Waichman LLP

Here is some bullshit...
In CA, they had a form of CASH ONLY payment at some bridge toll booths. I stopped and didn't have cash to pay the $7 toll. They sent a bill for $20+. A year later, they laid off all the booth operators and switched to the photo of the license plate and billing by mail for the standard rate. These pricks did the same method a year apart and charged almost triple before the program was officially implemented.
Government needs to be burned down and rebuilt.

No worries Gov. Shapiro is working on banning gasoline vehicles here in Pa. So the Turn pike won’t see as much travel so it should go up 4 times is much then…

When my daughter lived in Newark it was literally $4 to drive around the block…

So what do the gas/diesel fuel tax actually pay for?

Texas has these toll roads, I avoid them like the plague. However, I’d did have to get on them once, cost me $43! But the speed limit is 75mph on them, wasn’t complaining about that.
At that rate they should let you do 100..

That's how much the state spends. How much you have to spend:

View attachment 1509177

Most expensive toll roads in the US | Uproad

That's nuts. The bonds for our toll road (Rt90, Massachusetts Turnpike) were paid off in 1982 & just before the bonds were paid off, the Pike took out more bonds to keep the hackarama going. Now, we're told that the tolls are never going away. Fortunately, I don't drive that road too often.

Florence NJ (Rt 130, NOT NJTP) to Delaware River Bridge $7 in NJ, THEN $9.20 to "ENTER PA" over same bridge: haven't gotten Bristol to Carlisle toll bill yet. PHILLY bridges $5 (???). I HATE 95, 676 (its called "SKY-KILL" and its NOT an expressway for a reason!!), 495 (Blue Route)
PA doesn't want NJ/NYers in their state.

Hertz Rental
Trainee at the front desk airport

I was told I could use my credit card at the tolls leaving Harrisburg for Carlisle
Obviously that wasn’t the case , no cash no credit cards

I went thru one toll - Yes one
Stayed in Carlisle

Didn’t take the turnpike on the way back to the airport

Got billed on my credit card for $52.00

It showed up as $25.99 per day

Hertz was zero customer service at the counter and on the phone

I get the whole transponder license plate deal , for one toll
Gladly pay for one toll but I apparently I wasn’t informed at the front desk on how this works
Maybe the trainee didn’t know either

Anyways Waiting for a response back from Platepass

Not holding my breath

Damn principle

It's not just us bitchin', I found this on the webz....:D

fikinmoronfetterman1.png

I'm thinkin' of charging a toll for the little one-lane bridge over the creek down at the far end of
the one-lane county road out here. Since they don't do a damn thing to maintain/clear it, I do it
usually (we have some disabled/elderly out here that potentially need access to EMT and such).
Whaddaya think, a little toll booth and a toll bar across it? :)

(Actually, I can't even think of where a toll road is in this part of the country....we'd probably string
up the politician that came up with one, honestly.)

Actually, I can't even think of where a toll road is in this part of the country....we'd probably string
up the politician that came up with one, honestly.
I think that's the problem here for the PA turnpike. Not enough people are fed up with the ridiculous costs to string someone up, and/or they just feel stuck and pay the fees but grumble about it. We really need like a major boycott of the road to get the turnpike commission's attention.

I think that's the problem here for the PA turnpike. Not enough people are fed up with the ridiculous costs to string someone up, and/or they just feel stuck and pay the fees but grumble about it. We really need like a major boycott of the road to get the turnpike commission's attention.
The PA turnpike has been charging a premium as long as I've been around. It's hard to overcome inertia. In the early years, the rationale for the cost was that the revenue went for construction and upkeep. After the bonds were paid, the state didn't want to give up the revenue. In his early years at Penn State, my dad worked on a public relations film his department created for the turnpike commission. I remember watching it as a kid, and found it did a convincing job of selling the toll process, but this was during the period the road was still being paid off.

It's not such a good deal when the revenue gets siphoned off in other directions. This was the issue of turning I-80 into a toll road. The revenue collected would have gone to other venues, and this was stated upfront. It was easy to unite the different factions of the trucking industry in opposing it.

Auto Transport Service
Back