• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint gun questions..been a long time

Yup, Centari didn't bother to much but Imron? No thanks..

Yup, Centari didn't bother to much but Imron? No thanks..

the guys up the street fixed wrecked big rigs and dumps...... I came in at night when something needed to be painted...... all imron

I also did a vintage fire truck for a local fire co........ 5 gallons on that one

haven't sprayed any of it in about 30 years, I don't miss the privilege :rolleyes:

I aways used a respirator. Can't imagine painting an entire car without one, especially Imrom. I would have passed out.

yes, always a respirator....... in my older years, I treated myself to fresh air

cook.jpg

When I was working manufacturing machinery, we used xylene for everything. Clean the steel, thin the paint, wash your hands. Never thought of using gloves back then.

So whats the advantage of using a gravity type paint gun ?

low air pressure, less material.......from an eco standpoint, less **** it the air.......the gun is smaller with the weight on top, reaching over a hood is easier on the arm...... the gun will fit into places the siphon gun wont

low air pressure, less material.......from an eco standpoint, less **** it the air.......the gun is smaller with the weight on top, reaching over a hood is easier on the arm...... the gun will fit into places the siphon gun wont
And if you use a cup system like 3M's PPS you can put the gun at any angle without spilling paint or having it spit & sputter..

The HVLP guns shoot more material and less air, saving you a bunch! Less waste going out the exhaust.
Less V.O.C.'s escaping to the neighborhood. You don't have to buy a $1000.00 gun either. A brand-name
$200.00 gun will work just fine.

Let me start by saying it's been about 32 years since I painted anything, (and then it was a street rod frame..with Acrylic Enamel paint ). I want to paint the engine bay of my 62 Plymouth. I can get both single stage and 2 stage paint in the color I want. The overall plan is to do a color change ( I will have someone who knows more paint the main body ). I will paint the engine bay, under the hood, and door jambs.
I have an old Binks model 69 siphon feed paint gun, I used it years ago to spray door jambs on 68 charger.
Here's my question. If I go with 2 stage paint, will my siphon feed gun be OK to use ??? or will I need a Gravity Feed spray gun ???. All I have ever used was Acryilic Enamel paint and a siphon feed gun.
Depends on your wallet and your tolerance. I’d get the best HLVP gun you can afford. Use the Devilbiss disposable cups. You need a 1.3 tip for paint or clear. A modern gun will Atomize the paint better. I have a collection of paint guns from cheap to the DV1 paint and clear guns. I have three cars lined up to paint so it’s worth it to me.

Ive been doing paint and bodywork since 1972 and I painted City transit buses for over 20 years. If I didn’t suit up and use a supplied air respirator I wouldn't be typing this right now. Don't be stupid when it comes to your health and saftey.

When I painted long ago we rubbed vaseline on all exposed skin and then taped arm ends and bottom of coverals with masking tape . and some time if we ran out of paint reducer I have used hi test gas from texaco , didnt affect paint finnish amd we thought it made it shinier some times .Also have used aluminum paint to get semi metalic finish with solid colours for car lot specials .

I aways used a respirator. Can't imagine painting an entire car without one, especially Imrom. I would have passed out.
Nothing better than being able to breath without struggling for air.

Safety first.

Auto Transport Service
Back