• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint gun questions..been a long time

rustytoolss

Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Let me start by saying it's been about 32 years since I painted anything, (and then it was a street rod frame..with Acrylic Enamel paint ). I want to paint the engine bay of my 62 Plymouth. I can get both single stage and 2 stage paint in the color I want. The overall plan is to do a color change ( I will have someone who knows more paint the main body ). I will paint the engine bay, under the hood, and door jambs.
I have an old Binks model 69 siphon feed paint gun, I used it years ago to spray door jambs on 68 charger.
Here's my question. If I go with 2 stage paint, will my siphon feed gun be OK to use ??? or will I need a Gravity Feed spray gun ???. All I have ever used was Acryilic Enamel paint and a siphon feed gun.

siphon feed will work.......might be a little wasteful, but let 'er rip

I used to apply two stage paints back in the 80's with the same equiptment you describe. Should be the same procedure today. Check with your viscosity cup before shooting....should go on just like old times.

Yup, old school works... Just don't tell the EPA you released VOC's into the world...

Be free you little VOC's..... :lol:

The model 69 is a great gun, its what I learned with. I would use the single stage, 35 psi at the gun and spray a test panel to get the pattern correct and let er rip. Modern Acrylic urethane lays out like the old Centari did.

The model 69 is a great gun, its what I learned with. I would use the single stage, 35 psi at the gun and spray a test panel to get the pattern correct and let er rip. Modern Acrylic urethane lays out like the old Centari
Just look at all my old paint supplies, and Dupont Centari was the paint I used.

I shot this Duster in B5 Nason Acrylic urethane with my Binks 69 about 10 years ago.

IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG

shot a ton of Centari and Imron through a Binks7 back in the day......... how am I still alive? :rolleyes:

And then we cleaned our hands with lacquer thinner after!

I was actually going to add that......

would you think less of me if I admitted to still doing it? ...... I use the fast drying stuff :D

fortunately, I only paint one or 2 per year

I was actually going to add that......

would you think less of me if I admitted to still doing it? ...... I use the fast drying stuff :D

fortunately, I only paint one or 2 per year
Painted a pin stripe on my car yesterday and my hands were covered with paint pulling the tape off while it was still tacky. The thinner cleaned them up well. I did go in and wash my hands well after but I am sure it was already attacking my liver by then.

... and latex or nitrile gloves are about $10. for 50 pairs !!!

The painter at the garage I worked at would dump thinner out the back door (1977-1997) . The owner of the dealership would tell him not to do that (EPA Rules). But the painter did it just to piss him off.

Now I can't buy it. My gallon is at the last drop and no one has any. I used to buy it from the guy at Carlisle inside gate one on the main row but last year he told me he could not get it. Maybe its for the best but damn this whole killing good products for "our health" since most people don't know how to use it properly...

I thought I was the only one that shot Centari and IMRON through a Binks #7 and lived
to tell about it! No respirator, no Nitrile gloves, No Nuttin! Had to go to the E.R. once cause
I had shortness of breath and chest pains. Had an EKG, and the Dr. said, "Don't do dat no mo"!

I thought I was the only one that shot Centari and IMRON through a Binks #7 and lived
to tell about it! No respirator, no Nitrile gloves, No Nuttin! Had to go to the E.R. once cause
I had shortness of breath and chest pains. Had an EKG, and the Dr. said, "Don't do dat no mo"!
I aways used a respirator. Can't imagine painting an entire car without one, especially Imrom. I would have passed out.

Auto Transport Service
Back