• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint is less expensive than Chrome.... Duh !

Centerline

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
My build has always been under a tight budget and the finishing touches are no exception. Both bumpers on my '64 Polara have seen better days. After all they're 56 years old and not only was the chrome faded, there were a significant number of dents and areas that needed straightening.

The cost of straightening and new chrome plating, including labor breaks my budget big time. So the alternate solution, while I'm looking for new bumpers was to pound out the dents and massage them with a little body filler and paint them silver. I'm not a fan of painting bumpers body color so silver was the way to go.

Someday I hope to find replacements but for the foreseeable future my Dodge will have to do with painted bumpers, like it or not. Anyway... here's a quick tutorial on how to properly paint chrome.

To begin with chrome is a very hard coating and providing paint or filler a good surface to adhere to requires heavy duty sanding with a minimum of 36 grit. I used an air powered rotary sander and thoroughly roughed the surface everywhere paint would be applied. I then hit it again with 60 grit.
IMG_6576.JPG

Before any primer was sprayed I used a hammer and dolly to take out the vast majority of dents and creases. Once this was done I sprayed coat of self etching primer followed by a wet sanding with 220.

IMG_6586.JPG

This prepared the surface for filler. Once the filler work was done, two coats of filler primer were sprayed and the final coat was wet sanded to 600 grit.

IMG_6590.JPG

The paint used was Summit Racing's single stage bright silver metallic which is an acrylic urethane. This is an inexpensive line Summit sells and the cost of a quart was about $25 plus hardener. I didn't expect too much given how inexpensive the paint is but I was pleasantly surprised. It sprayed nicely with no tiger stripes or runs. Given the temperature was above 90 degrees when they were sprayed and it was done outside I was not surprised to see just a hint of orange peel.

IMG_6594.JPG

Just a little cut and polish and the surface was like glass.

IMG_6598.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

Bottom line is... If you have to paint chrome make damn sure you give it enough surface to grab on to or every little stone chip will let chrome shine through.

Looks good. You can have it wrapped in vinyl as well.

you do great work,its all about prep :thumbsup:

Looks good. You can have it wrapped in vinyl as well.

I actually tried that. Chrome vinyl wrap is nowhere near as stretchable or flexible as the normal wrap material. I couldn't get it to go around a compound curve, even with heat. If you look at the lower flat section of the grill you'll see that section is covered with wrap.

That looks great your budget build has shown me how to save on alot of different things. Thanks so much.

Nice! Did the same thing with my 73 Challenger years ago before you could buy new bumpers. Went with a BMW silver that the body shop had laying around. Came out great. Has anyone tried chrome powder coat?

Man that looks good!
I'm not a huge fan of chrome.
I was building a 47 Buick the estimate for the chrome was $24000!
No typo there!
I started getting rid of trim and others non needed parts ! Still about $4k in chrome !
My charger if I ever get it there will have painted bumper's

Nice! Did the same thing with my 73 Challenger years ago before you could buy new bumpers. Went with a BMW silver that the body shop had laying around. Came out great. Has anyone tried chrome powder coat?
Powder coating is an option as long as you don't need any "dent correction". Normal body filler won't hold up to the 400 degree oven. I have heard there is a new filler that is purposely made to use on parts being powder coated but have yet to here anyone using it.... and more importantly how well it sands and finishes.

my front fiberglass bumper is painted chrome. using chrisma-chrome paint with a special top coat to prevent chipping and yellowing. but if cost is a factor in your decision it wont be too your liking. i have around one thousand dollars in getting it painted. three hundered of that was shipping it to and from the painter. it has been on the car three years and is holding up well. i wanted the factory look but in a light weight form for my race car.

16708442_1463599180340111_5204501829926961467_n.jpg 16729428_1463599190340110_5234030808386864634_n.jpg 31059487_1853071188050679_8374607514716602368_n.jpg

They look awesome, both of you have great looking rides.

Powder coating is an option as long as you don't need any "dent correction". Normal body filler won't hold up to the 400 degree oven. I have heard there is a new filler that is purposely made to use on parts being powder coated but have yet to here anyone using it.... and more importantly how well it sands and finishes.

None of those "powder coating fillers" are new. I've tried them all over the last 21 years from Lab Metal to ThermoBond3. They ALL suck ... hard to work with, known to blow out (because it's hard to get air pockets out), tough to grind or sand, and expensive considering they don't store well and turn into a brick shortly.

The one thing I found that does work is a Permatex compound originally formulated for exhaust leaks. Sadly the company discontinued it a few years ago so I'm glad I stocked up.

Auto Transport Service
Back