• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint or not paint that is the question

Hazzard Lugnut

Local time
5:48 PM
Reaction score
Hello Mopar Friends, I have a question to ask.
Well first things first, I just bought a new
grille/ headlight support from AMD and it is Black EDP coated. My question is since its already black, do I leave it like it is or prime and paint it black?

prime and paint it
edp will not last long out in the elements..

I've always been told that with the EDP coating. Wipe it down with Laquer Thinner. If the coating starts to come off strip it then prime. Otherwise sand or scuff the coating and prime then paint.

Or blast the EDP off and lay down some good Epoxy. Trust me, I see how these coatings come off and how good they're adhering to the substrate. EDP isn't a penetrating solution. Epoxy (if applied on blasted metal) really binds in tightly.

I sanded a new fender pretty good but didn't take it all off...just sanded it good then epoxy primed and painted. A year later it's still sticking. The fender went on my daughter's daily driver which sits out and doesn't get much love. She hardly washes the thing let alone wax it. Poor Pitiful Thing is what I call it....PT Cruiser.

Auto Transport Service
Back