• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint , paint and more paint

99ss

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Lets talk about paint... first of all where the eff does the word come from?.... ok enough of the history of the word....

where do I find a correct pain scheme for my 69 roadrunner interior and exterior.

What is the best paint to use interior and exterior if trying to match the factory?

I have a 2 tone interior... I really want to get it correct.

Which brand of paint to use to match the factory?

My understanding is the factory paint is single stage.. am I correct?

I want to use a very good single stage then if thats what came on it from the factory. It might not be the best paint system to use but I want to keep it as close to OEM as possible

any and all help always appreciated.. thank you :)

The paint code is on your fender tag. As far as paint, the factory used acrylic enamel. That's okay, but to make it last, you'll want to apply a good clear coat on top of it on the exterior. You can use base coat/clear coat like Dupont chromabase or chromapremier or ppg, just stay away from ppg omni, you do get what you pay for. and then there is acrylic urethane and the new waterborne. Urethane is like acrylic enamel, you don't have to clear it but you should. Waterborne is the new stuff that requires drying equipment, and it's best left to a professional shop. I prefer Dupont chromabase and chromaclear, I get a dead on, or very, very dead on match. But Dupont doesn't make the old centari acrylic enamel, but Sherwin williams is comparable. Just remember, you get what you pay for. If you spend all that time and money getting the body perfect, you shouldn't cheap out on the finish. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't be concerned with staying with single stage to preserve originality. I definately would shoot a base clear if it is a metallic because these are challenging to shoot in a single stage and you will mess up the metallics in the paint doing a cut and buff. A single stage will be cheaper and if it will be garaged and not a daily driver then it's not a problem, just stay away from single stage metallics. A friend of mine on this board(Sonny Black)has a 63 Plymouth with a 30 year old single stage paint jb and it still looks great. Stay away from the budget lines of paint too. Are you gonna shoot this or have it done?

Its gonna be me. I'm not that good at spraying the clear coat... I always have massive orange peel and really wanted to avoid it..LOL

The dash was always painted with what is called a suede finish. It's an additive to the paint that gives it texture but in my experience it was too much texture as compared to the original. Basic lacquer is an excellent interior paint and to duplicate the texture I just got back and laid the last few coats on dry. Came out pretty good. I have the PPG color codes from 69 so if you tell me what color I can give you the code.

Its gonna be me. I'm not that good at spraying the clear coat... I always have massive orange peel and really wanted to avoid it..LOL

You might be pleasantly surprised with the paints now. Clear hardened urethane topcoat like DAU75 lays down pretty nicely. You should be able to get a finish that has minimal orange peel and is about as smooth as anything you are going to get on a new car.

If you want the show car finish that looks like flawless polished glass you are going to need to color sand and buff. It's all a matter of what you are trying to accomplish and how much time and money you are will to put forth to get it.

In regards to your interior, SEM makes an excellent paint for interior vinyl. You can do seats, door cards, dash, etc. I don't like the way it makes upholstery fabric or carpet feel but some people do it anyhow. It seems to hold up very well. SEM comes spray bombs in a bunch of standard colors or a good automotive paint store should be able to mix (or match) any other color you want.

Auto Transport Service
Back