• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Question...

GTX.JCW

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
I have a friend that has a '63 Sport Fury, all original, including paint. Does anyone know if the paint is lacquer?

He is looking for someone to detail the car so it will look nice for the show season..

Jeff

Not positive but probably acrylic enamel. Don't recall ChryCo using lacquer paints in the 60's. You could test a spot somewhere out of sight with some lacquer thinner and if it softens it, then it's lacquer.

I believe that in 63 it was straight enamel.

It will soften enamal as well.
Lacquer paint will soften right away while enamel will take longer. It will usually soften epoxy primer too but that takes even longer.

Thanks..

For all the answers..

Here are a couple of pics of the car. Again, this is not my car. The owner states that it all original except for the wheels.

image1.jpg

The paint looks pretty good from these pics, but there may be an issue elsewhere that is not seen in these.

image2.jpg

Jeff

If that car has original paint....it's awesome!!! Had a 70 Challenger with original paint in 1995 when I sold it and thought it was pretty nice but that's even better!!

Auto Transport Service
Back