• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Recommendations:

Erik Morris

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations. Need a gallon of custom color paint. Who would you trust or do business with either online or possible national franchise with local stores? 1st time paint job, recommendations for paint that will spray easily, be forgiving of newb mistakes, gloss up great with a few coats of clear, and last for more than a year?

Looking for recommendations. Need a gallon of custom color paint. Who would you trust or do business with either online or possible national franchise with local stores? 1st time paint job, recommendations for paint that will spray easily, be forgiving of newb mistakes, gloss up great with a few coats of clear, and last for more than a year?
Only a year? :) I use PPG products mostly, but there are others that aren't as pricey.

Shooting a good coat of paint isn't up to the paint, it's really up the gun and the guy holding the gun. Pure voodoo and not for the faint of heart.
I use only PPG / Finish Master dealers.

upload_2022-4-28_20-46-43.png

Sikkens is good to. We are in the process of going Sikkens after 5 years of envirobase ppg. Ive used it in the past. Every bit as much work. And making sure all the tasks are done properly for a Great looking job.

Sikkens is good to. We are in the process of going Sikkens after 5 years of envirobase ppg. Ive used it in the past. Every bit as much work. And making sure all the tasks are done properly for a Great looking job.
I liked Sikkens about 20 years ago but their customer support slipped drastically IMHO.
They make one hell of a deck coating though.

There are some good paints out there, but it more about the body work, paint preparation, and person doing the painting.

How many gallons should he buy? He probably just wants a driver quality paint job.

Hahaha! Maybe the gallon is just for the hood!
Eric, Eric... what is it you're looking to accomplish ? Your post doesn't make sense. Elaborate what you have & what you intend to do, many people here can assist you with great experience.

Give us a idea what you are planning , a complete in and out or just exterior? And size of car and color its going to be. Most new types of paints except single stage paint is transparent. So multiple coats maybe involves. That will give a idea on how much you will need. With some left over incase of any booboos along the way.

Eric, Eric... what is it you're looking to accomplish ? Your post doesn't make sense. Elaborate what you have & what you intend to do, many people here can assist you with great experience.
Mr Klingon.... It's Erik with a k. Clarification follows: 69' Charger with 53 year old original paint in shabby shape. Entire car needs painted, exterior. Preference is single stage to keep it simpler. I'm asking what paint product you would buy, what you would stay away from, and if anyone can recommend a company that can produce a gallon (or more) of sprayable paint that does not have a preexisting stock paint code. I'm going to paint it and drive it, it doesn't need to be flawless or break the bank. If there's a color called Bright *** Yellow that's in the ballpark.

Last edited:
Pardon me, Erik with a k, my humblest apology. I'm not sure my 50 years experience will be of any assistance, so I'll just defer to others here.

Pardon me, Erik with a k, my humblest apology. I'm not sure my 50 years experience will be of any assistance, so I'll just defer to others here.
C'mon WileE, no need to be reticent. You suggested I provide more details, and I complied. I'm on the forum asking for recommendations, no matter the source. You folks have more knowledge and skills than I do, hence my original (poorly worded) question.

69 Charger, I assume one color, with jams and trim out, unless you are not going to open the hood, trunk or doors for people to see. My guess 2 gallons, which should make more when in sprayable form. My project that I'm currently doing is 3 gallons sprayable. Actual paint 1 & 1/2 gallons. Paint and materials now over $1600.

I would use a PPG urethane single stage. They don’t usually reduce as far as base coat. Make sure you use an activated product, that adds gloss. Two gallon sprayable maybe short if your doing under hood and trunk. I would do the trunk, engine bay and undersides of deck lid and hood first. That’ll help you figure out how much material you’ll need. Yellow may not cover well but it depends on product grade you chose also.

Ppg for our shop also.
As far as a complete, Jerry is on the $ with the 1.5 base.
Non existent code. .....
You just need some kid at the mixing bank who is killing time.
I will add that picking a existing color off a chart will be your best way to go.
For any touch ups , damage repair, ect.
If your trying to save a buck, ppgs omni plus line is a little less cost and covers good in solid colors. Also the omni line has a AU / MTK Urethane single thats pretty nice to shoot.
Good luck with your project.
All bodymen have their favorites, asking about paint brands is simular to asking what brand of oil to use .

Last edited:
C'mon WileE, no need to be reticent. You suggested I provide more details, and I complied. I'm on the forum asking for recommendations, no matter the source. You folks have more knowledge and skills than I do, hence my original (poorly worded) question.
Well, your first line appeared rather flippant. All's well. The prior posts are very spot on. Single stage is the way to go in your case, I've liked dupont chroma-one in the past when going single, but the ppg, omni would also be good. What is the condition of the metal ? Vinyl roof or no ? Are you doing jambs, undersides, eng comp ? If you're only doing exterior only, you're going to have to match the paint code. Where are you shooting the car, with what equipment ?

Oh... one more caveat... yes, the car itself bears strong consideration. A 69 Charger is not a 63 Rambler, no disrespect to a Rambler, but point made. Your approach for this car should be an important one.

Auto Transport Service
Back