• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint remover??

The original post stated he wanted something good for his health. With that said, all the post are correct and the new formulas don't work well. In fact you'll putting on multiple coats which in turn raise the risk. My suggestion is if you have access to an air compressor, get a DA and sand the finish off. It's safer than stripper and now a days will be faster and more effective. Plus you won't run the risk of having contamination in the new paint. And truthfully, with stripper you need to wash it off, so now you're putting water on bare metal and you're gonna get flash rust which will need sanded. JMO
The exception would be if he is sanding off old paint. The dust in the air will have lead in it, unless it is wet sanded which will have the same problems as rinsing off stripper.

The exception would be if he is sanding off old paint. The dust in the air will have lead in it, unless it is wet sanded which will have the same problems as rinsing off stripper.
I never knew automotive paint had lead in it.

It was common. I have some old DuPont B5 lacquer that states right on the label that it contains lead.

Doing my car now, when I get home I’ll check but I think it’s Klean Strip. Smells like urin not like the old Zip Strip, cuts top coat fast but primer is tougher. Apply heavy in one direction only, don’t go back over, don’t know why but it works. It still burns when splattered on the skin, keep water handy. Watch sanding with those matte grinding discs creates a lot of heat. I also use razor blades to peel off paint on flat surface, get a pack of 100 they dull fast. Anything that works will be toxic, liquid, dust whatever.
When I get home I’ll list all the products i use

Skydrol aircraft hydraulic fluid will strip off paint, dissolve rubber shoe soles, etc. It is a phosphate ester formulation and is spec'd by SAE AS1241C. It is caustic... don't get it on your skin or in your eyes. Flush with plenty of water if you do. The fumes will irritate the mucous membranes in your nose. Other than that, it's not toxic. It isn't carcinogenic.

Auto Transport Service
Back