• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts recommendation

When I took the block to the machine shop I also took my heads, cam kit mentioned above and the pistons. They stated that they decked the block to zero and milled the heads. However the Torker 383 intake I took to them was no longer good due to the prior owner of the intake doing some weird job on the intake. The machine shop told me to look for a different intake for no carb would bolt up nicely to it. Beyond that nothing else has been done to the block heads or anything else.

I would love to get as much power out of what I have as possible along with bringing the compression up to 9:1. What are your suggestions on doing this?

Nothing against your machinist, but I wouldn’t count on it being zero deck until you measure it.

You can plug in your numbers like said. The one from summit is easy to use.
Compression Calculator
Just going by the numbers BSB67 gave and your 0 deck pistons... the only way now to raise the compression is using a thin head gasket and milling the heads. Milling the heads is what we have done previously with open chamber heads, with large valve relief 383 pistons. We usually have the intake side of the head milled so a stock intake fits. If i am remembering correctly .050 off a 906 was 82cc. I would have to look at records to verify. I know .070 off 346 heads was 74cc.
Going more then .050 makes the valve cover rail thin. It is noticeably thinner even at .050, works though. You can also machine the intake but the valley tray fits better leaving the intake stock.
More like a .030" cut for about 81-82CCs. .0042" per CC.

More like a .030" cut for about 81-82CCs. .0042" per CC.
Yep, you are correct.
.0042 per cc is a good method.
My memory on 906s we cut was off... they were 79cc and are stamped .045 cut.

Last edited:
If you have a hyd. cam stick with the stock lifters. Those pretty aluminums are just shiny objects.

Those crappy stock rockers have gone 200 mph on NASCAR tracks and can last 100,000 miles in a daily driver. When have you seen that in an aftermarket rocker designed for the street.

Auto Transport Service
Back