• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix Flame Thrower Mounting Position

turbine68rt

Turbine Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:27 AM
Reaction score
Just got a new #40011 flame thrower since it fell within the oem specs for primary & secondary resistance. Runs and looks great after painting and adding ECS stencil kit. Now I find out that mounting it in a horizontal position on the intake the way it was originally isn't ideal since it's oil filled. Any other position is out of the question since this is an oem resto. Anyone else run into any issues mounting one like this, or has this now become a spare and have to start over again with an epoxy version? I was of the understanding that the epoxy filled coil was for off-road and high vibration applications, which is why I got the oil filled.

I get what you want, yes epoxy is the way to go but wasn't the oem one oil filled also?

I would think “high vibration” mounted on an engine wouldn’t matter whether on road, off road or on a generator. They all shake the same.

The issue with oil filled is if they leak in the horozontal position the inner workings become exposed and can fail. Epoxy won't leak. Oil filled mounted vertically won't leak (for the most part). You can mount oil filled horozontally, it was done like that from the factory just not recommended today. I would mount it in the factory position since you already have it. It is a great coil.

I would think “high vibration” mounted on an engine wouldn’t matter whether on road, off road or on a generator. They all shake the same.
Correct. If I had the epoxy filled coil it could be mounted in any direction. Apparently the oil filled coil "should" be mounted vertically, even though the originals were mounted flat.

I get what you want, yes epoxy is the way to go but wasn't the oem one oil filled also?
Yes, the main difference I read about on other threads was the originals were obviously made in the U.S., but not the new ones.

My epoxy filled MSD

Lasted one day on the highway going to a car show before it literally blew the bottom out

I have had more issues with coils in the last five years then the previous thirty years all together

Chinese JUNK

I finally picked up a new Made In The USA Mopar OEM Oil Filled Coil from the 70s at a swap meet

Lots of discussions on when coil manufacturers stopped making oil filled coils in the USA around 2010 or so

Same with Standard Motor Products sending everything over seas around the same time

Anyways
My whole electronic ignition is factory NOS Mopar OEM other then the distributor

484DBF6B-9DB0-424D-BFFB-6BEFC411A57C.jpeg

4BF3D27F-8CF8-4978-AEC2-184F71CE82D0.jpeg

I always thought you just pointed the flame thrower into the cave and listened for the screaming inside?
Times have changed

My epoxy filled MSD

Lasted one day on the highway going to a car show before it literally blew the bottom out

I have had more issues with coils in the last five years then the previous thirty years all together

Chinese JUNK

I finally picked up a new Made In The USA Mopar OEM Oil Filled Coil from the 70s at a swap meet

Lots of discussions on when coil manufacturers stopped making oil filled coils in the USA around 2010 or so

Same with Standard Motor Products sending everything over seas around the same time

Anyways
My whole electronic ignition is factory NOS Mopar OEM other then the distributor

View attachment 1334019

View attachment 1334020

It's rediculous how many parts are made in china and suck. We pay good money for them, too. The Pertronix oil filled are made in Mexico and the epoxy filled are made in china.

I run a Mallory oil filled on one of the horizontal brackets from AR engineering working good for 8 years. Went through 2 Petronix epoxy when hot they crapped out, 1 Accel leaked out of the tower out of the box and now have a MSD good so far. this is on the Duster. All were china except the Mallory made in Mexico. the MSD is vertically mounted.

I've got an accel super coil in my Charger from about 1989 back when stuff you'd buy would work for a long time.
It's mounted horizontal on the intake (the third intake actually). It's got probably 40k on it.
I'm not going to take it off.

I have never heard of an epoxy filled canister coil, only oil filled. So if you want to keep the stock look, you are stuck with a canister coil.

I have never heard of an epoxy filled canister coil, only oil filled. So if you want to keep the stock look, you are stuck with a canister coil.
The epoxy filled coils are #40111

Turbine,
I think that coil is oil filled. From reading the Pert website, it looks to me that the epoxy coils are the E core coils, F/thrower 2 & 3 etc.

Found this in the yard this morning on a 68 Polara with a 383HP. Still had the original late '67 coil that tested good on the ohmmeter. Maybe I'll just restore this one and keep the chinese one as a spare.
20220828_131157.jpg

20220828_131140.jpg

I have had a pertronix oil filled flame thrower coil on my 440 mounted horizontal in the factory mount for several years. No problems at all.

My epoxy filled MSD

Chinese JUNK

Anyways

View attachment 1334019

View attachment 1334020
So I cleaned up and tested the date coded '68 coil from the yard, put it on the car and it runs just as good as the new aftermarket unit. Go figure. This one has been laying sideways for 55 years, no oil leaks.

As long as there is no layer shorting or oil leakage, no reason why the coil would not perform as well as the day it was made...

Auto Transport Service
Back