• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix Igniter Install

One last question - is it OK to upgrade to the Flamethrower coil from the Accel Super Stock?
Yes. But I would absolutely still consider switching to the Pertronix with flamethrower coil because it allows you to bypass the ballast resistor. Makes for a simpler system.

And what is the gap? Like .008 measured with a brass feeler gauge? Best to check for sure.

There is nothing wrong with a factory electronic system.
I think so or even a matchbook cover. I haven't used a Mopar electronic ignition in some time.

- Changing a brand M or A or F canister coil for another canister coil will do little except lighten your wallet.
- If you want to improve your ign system, run bigger plug gaps, you need an ign system that eliminates the bal res & uses an E core ign coil. This can be done using the Chrys stock elec ign dist to trigger a GM 4 pin HEI module, diagrams on the net. Very simple hook up.
- the mag p/up is very reliable, but if the vac adv has been hooked up, they can fail after high mileage. This is because VA operation flexes the p/up wires.

Here is the wiring connection for an GM HEI Module to the Chrysler ignition systems. The one Geoff 2 referred to above.
Ron
1676645036112.jpeg

I think you need the CH 181, but you might need to call them as their listed application looks wrong. It is the same description as CH 161 which is for 6 cylinder.

Or get a single points distributor. @HALIFAXHOPS
I have done a bunch of these pretty easy. the 1381 is for a single point 8. Runs directly to the coil. You also want to jump the ballast resistor and remove the ECU, and wiring to the distributor. Pretty easy actually. Just take your time.

Last edited:
So what was the final verdict here? Did you use the CH-181?

I'm looking to go Pertronix in my Coronet which currently has Mopar Electronic ignition.

The best place for Pertronix products.....is on the shelf at Pertronix.

If you want a better ign system than the Chrys ECU, use the GM 4 pin HEI module. See post #26 & others.

No, you can retain the coil for use with HEI but you have to use the bal res with it if that coil is designed to use a bal res. You will not get the best out of the HEI unless you use an E core coil with 0.4-0.6 ohms pri resistance.

Auto Transport Service
Back