• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix igniter lll problem

65NUTCASE

Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
Just bought a new PERTRONIX IGNITOR-III distributor. Too big the distributor cap touches my fabricated valve covers. I snugged hold down bolt finger tight and it's so tight I can't even turn the distributor. So it looks like I'm going to go with an MSD ready to run distributor. Just wondering if anybody else ran into the same problem? I see a lot of other engines with fabricated valve covers and different distributors just checking.

I had heard about clearance problems when using a large cap style distributor so I went with the Pertronix 3 ignitor inside a stock points style distributor. I like the stock look and also the ability to have a rev limiter as part of the module. I did this 3 years ago and so far so good although I have heard about some folks having reliability issues. Good luck.

I run stock valve covers and had no issue with the III distributor on that, but had head clearance issues and had to grind a little of the casting slag off the stock head and it fits with no issues and runs good.

Just ordered a MSD ready to run distributer. Local speed shop beat summit by 15 bucks I put that towards a blaster ll cool .

Msd too tall also now stock dist with a pertronix III kit !!!

Already got it. It's going in this weekend. Thanks

OK Pertronix instructions are a little vague. I'm supposed to hook up the supplied ground strap on the top plate to the distributor housing how do they expect me to do that with no holes ? I put one in my 318 it took about 20 minutes but it was just the IGNITOR this is the ignitor III .

The ground goes through a notch in the bottom plate and attaches to the threaded hole on the bottom side of the plate.

OK Pertronix instructions are a little vague. I'm supposed to hook up the supplied ground strap on the top plate to the distributor housing how do they expect me to do that with no holes ? I put one in my 318 it took about 20 minutes but it was just the IGNITOR this is the ignitor III .
We took the end of that little ground strap, and clamped it between the plate and the housing. It won't ever come out accidently...................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back