• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilot bushing removal

I've done that on Fords but again wall thickness & in this case I/D play a role..
I have done this to thin walled Moen shower cartridge's that have came apart during removal. Mopar pilot brushing is a little thicker than that Moen sleeve but not much.

Recently did mine.
Grease and a wooden dowel from the local hardware store.
Pack with grease, and keep putting grease on the end of the dowel, push it in, out, more grease.
Then when it wouldn't take anymore, whacked it with a hammer, popped right out.

The bushing is out. That tool did the deed. I did have to cut it shorter to get it to thread in to the bushung.

20200601-082415.jpg

20200601-082843.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent! I've used that tool on all sorts of bushings...

I have the 4 speed trans down for rebuild and need to get the pilot bushing out of the 383 crank. What is the best way?
I have used this method for the past 50 years and it works every time. Pack the hole with grease, take a 3 inch 3/8 drive extension, but the larger end in the hole and strike it with a hammer. The grease will drive it out in a couple of hits. No special tools, no cussing, no fussing.

Cheap bar soap like ivory works great in place of grease for thinner mopar bushings. Much denser than grease, won't just squirt out.

Auto Transport Service
Back