• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pitman Arm - Just Curious

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
I posted while back about the steering linkage (left side only) on my '63 Plymouth striking the T-bar and header. (This is another slant on this out of curiosity, not regurgitating my old post.) The motor was rebuilt with new mounts, headers, and FFII box installed. Getting the car on a lift, we noticed the cross member canted upward slightly toward the driver side. Then looking more, the pitman lower mount looked cocked creating an upward throw on the end rod/cross link. Sure evident this has caused the clearance issue. However, has anyone encountered this? I'm getting a new pitman to see if this might be a remedy; if not likely doing a bend on it on a press to bring it more level. Thanks!

Is the k-frame damaged from a previous life? Any friends have a car/frame to compare to?

We looked at this pretty close including when the engine was out and couldn't find any indication of damage. Not to say of course, it might be. I bought the car when it was 32 years old and the motor had been out before showing a '64 date code. This wasn't a problem before having the resto. I've wondered if it could have to do with the steering box install...anyway I 'think' I have a solution - but - what caused it...bugs me. Thanks
Is the k-frame damaged from a previous life? Any friends have a car/frame to compare to?

Can u post some pics. Thanks Kim
Here are two: One shows the slight angle upward of the center link on the driver's side. The pic of the pitman looks to show the lower mount is canted up causing this. Thanks

Pitman 1.jpg Pitman 2.jpg

If there is no visible damage you can see, maybe put the arm in a press and take some of the bend out of it by the center link. You may be just running into an issue where the current arm is also for another application, not Mopar, that the manufacture decided to use to cut down on inventory and manufacturing differences.

Yeah - something 'changed' as Pitman wasn't replaced thru the engine rebuild and car resto. This all was fine before. My only guess is the mounting/positioning of the FF box - enough that it sheared off the grease fitting, gouged the torsion bar, and center link playing the violin on the header. Bending the arm is the likely fix, but will get a new one first and install in case this does the trick.

What components have been replaced - and with what brand?

There's a problem on the '62 through '65 with aftermarket idler arms making the same contact on the opposite side. I'm not familiar with the compatibility of a factory pitman arm on a Firm Feel steering box but if they are then most likely it's your problem. There's tight tolerances on both ends of the steering components on these cars and if the aftermarket changes them slightly there can be issues. Seen this before.

I had to find a NOS idler arm after buying a Moog brand because it was too large in it's dimensions. Hopefully a new pitman arm will solve your issue. If not look for a NOS.

Do you still have your old steering box and pitman arm to be able to compare the differences? That would be whats needed.

I read your other post and some of the replies were interested to say the least.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/firm-feel-ii-install.206376/

There's a problem on the '62 through '65 with aftermarket idler arms making the same contact on the opposite side. I'm not familiar with the compatibility of a factory pitman arm on a Firm Feel steering box but if they are then most likely it's your problem. There's tight tolerances on both ends of the steering components on these cars and if the aftermarket changes them slightly there can be issues. Seen this before.

I had to find a NOS idler arm after buying a Moog brand because it was too large in it's dimensions. Hopefully a new pitman arm will solve your issue. If not look for a NOS.

Do you still have your old steering box and pitman arm to be able to compare the differences? That would be whats needed.

I read your other post and some of the replies were interested to say the least.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/firm-feel-ii-install.206376/
Yeah - was wondering about a moog pitman arm - if you have recommendations on where I should find a pitman please let me know. I've looked at suppliers like Summit but in case anyone has idea good to hear.

Moog has been OBSOLETE for over two (2) decades now.... K780 .... Dead, Dead, Dead....
T R W has been Out Of Business for over ten (10) years now.... 18595 .... Dead, Dead, Dead....

I have the California made PITMAN Arm... As opposed to the Chineseum one that is out there.....
Not even that much more expensive, and clearly worth it....

I would happily leave you my phone number, but due to forum rules, you have to P.M. me if you need or want one..... Yours, Craig.....

Hey Men,
I just responded to all three of you who P.M.'ed me, in regard to the PITMAN Arm....
Have no fears, I have 5 or 6 of them in stock, right now, during the dead of winter....
Right before Chrysler's @ Carlisle,. I purchase ten (10) of them, such that I get the better price -- and I pass along the savings !!!!! (Hence, we all win !!!!)
Yours, Craig.....

Hey Men,
I just responded to all three of you who P.M.'ed me, in regard to the PITMAN Arm....
Have no fears, I have 5 or 6 of them in stock, right now, during the dead of winter....
Right before Chrysler's @ Carlisle,. I purchase ten (10) of them, such that I get the better price -- and I pass along the savings !!!!! (Hence, we all win !!!!)
Yours, Craig.....

New Old Stock?

khryslerkid,
New Old Stock "pop up" or "show up" every now and then, but there is certainly NO WAY to
--- purchase 10 of them for a better price --- because there aren't that many remaining in the universe !!!!

These are the reproductions out of California... In the calendar year 2021, it is either them or the Chineseum....
Yours, Craig....

Ron,
I had a similar problem several years ago. Factory P/S box. Stupid me had thrown out the OEM arm when I disassembled the front end. Tried the NAPA replacement as well as one from Ehrenberg (?). Had a friend with a 50 ton press cold bend the NAPA one to match a template I made from cardboard. Still there and works fine...

Ron,
I had a similar problem several years ago. Factory P/S box. Stupid me had thrown out the OEM arm when I disassembled the front end. Tried the NAPA replacement as well as one from Ehrenberg (?). Had a friend with a 50 ton press cold bend the NAPA one to match a template I made from cardboard. Still there and works fine...
Thanks much, could be this is exactly what I'll need to do. My mechanic bud wanted to try out a new pitman before going this route; but I may be buying a new one as a spare...like I will need another hole in my head, lol.

Just an update since getting the pitman arm on today I purchased from Mobilparts some weeks ago. Seems the clearance problem I posted about is solved...to my surprise. It sets the necessary clearance from the T-bar and header. Why the surprise? Well the old arm, I assume was original, was canted up on the left also doing the same with the tie rod and cross link. And never was an issue having the car since '95...it was after the motor rebuild/FFII box, headers, etc. I was going to bet the pitman might have needed bending a bit. The new arm has a different configuration than the one on the car; but new one fit perfectly and car steers great thinking an alignment was going to be a must. I'll have it checked anyway.
Thanks to those who offered their tips and to Mobilparts having a USA made part to order.

Ron H,
I have had no issues with these for over 25 years, and probably have serviced 150 - 200 people ( 6 to 8
a year sounds about correct...)

I am especially happy that one solved your issues, without having to compromise strength !!! It is good to be 100 % !!!
.... Thanks again, and for the kind comments, Yours, Craig.....

Ron H,
I have had no issues with these for over 25 years, and probably have serviced 150 - 200 people ( 6 to 8
a year sounds about correct...)

I am especially happy that one solved your issues, without having to compromise strength !!! It is good to be 100 % !!!
.... Thanks again, and for the kind comments, Yours, Craig.....
Thank you sir. Glad you mentioned having the part...and USA made! Well - I guess it will always stay a mystery why the old pitman canted the steering linkage as putting your new one on just simply set it right. Only 'change' was install of the FF II box and nothing looked goofy there. My mechanic bud recommended I get a new one before we opted to bend it. I'd a lost a what I thought was a sure bet here.

Auto Transport Service
Back