• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pittsburgh floor jacks

I see a bunch of positive posts here on the HB jacks and also a lot of good reviews on the website for the jacks I've been zeroing in on. Then I looked at a more pricey one from Home Depot that caught my eye and go figure, some consistently negative reviews among the positives. Borrowed a friend's jack this morning and raised the car up to set the stands underneath then as I tried to lower it back down slowly to the stands...bam the ****** let's loose slammed down full! Good friggin thing the stands were stable as ya know sometimes when lowering a stand might get cocked where you raise it back up again to reset the stand to assure level placement on the stands. My old Sears never did that, full control on a gentle let down. I ordered a Daytona 3 ton today and will see if I can refurbish my old Sears when finding time. Never will slide under a car anyway until the stands are set and leave the jack in place with a little pressure unless need to move it out of the way for access to something. Too many ways to die and reckon I don't need my car crashing down as one of 'em. lol

I've had the $89 3 ton low profile regular line model since it was the $79 2.5 ton version (about 10 years).

I bought it because it's low enough to get under our lower control arms.

The only issue I've had was the cheap screw that holds the handle together backed out and got lost.

I replaced it with a hitch pin.

One option with tools is to buy older used top tier tools like Mac and Strap on. They used to make them well and a ton of guys are getting out of the stealership circuit and will deal. My son is buying good used tools this was just for weekend use. He knows they will last and won't kill him. They also are priced right. If I were in the market for tools today, thats how I would build up my tool inventory. Don';t get me wrong, I would still get some cheap stuff for non-essential duty from Lowes or the corner store but most of it would be 10-20 year old name brand stuff so I wouldn't have to replace it every other year or have it break on a Sunday halfway through a repair. That's just me though.

What did you replace it with?

i bought a Pittsburg. Jury is still out. It seems to work ok do far. I jacked my f150 up the other day through and thought it seemed a bit wobbly.

I have one don't care for small lift pad or what ever its real name is.

Pittsburg has a set of huge wrenches. They go from about 15/16" to 2-1/4". They sell them for about $140 at Freight by the bay. Cant beat them for the price and they are too big to break. My mechanics all have them and I do too. One name brand wrench that size would be $200 and you could see your reflection in it but that's about it. Some of their stuff is worth it. I think I got their number punch set once on sale and it's pretty good. I needed a second set and didn't need it to be super perfect but having two sets of everything can be expensive and lead to you losing track of tools.

I have that same wrench set...I bought it for working on a 1945 john deere dozer that I have. They work fine. I bought the daytona 3 ton jack in green...it works fine for the price and when it went on sale I got 40 bucks back.

Last edited:
My old Craftsman 2 ton floor jack started to leak down a couple of years ago. 30 plus years old, about time for a rebuild. I took it down to my local Napa, they sent it out to a local rebuilder, got it back in a couple of weeks, works like new. I don’t remember what it cost, but was a lot cheaper than a new chinese jack.

I got a green daytona from HB and haven't used it yet, but also hanging onto my old craftsmen thinking of a rebuild on it. I borrowed a friend's jack before i got the daytona and after I jacked the car up putting stands underneath went to slowly lower the jack and wham it lets go slamming down on the stands. Peeved I was glad they were set well enough. Don't know what brand floor jack it was but last time I wanna borrow it!

Auto Transport Service
Back