• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Please S T O P saying this" thread.

When people call an engine in a car a "motor ". I have a very modest electrical background. A motor is electric.. Drives me crazy.
Forgive me if this was mentioned, I didn't read every post.

Here we go with "engine sports" and the like again.....

When people call an engine in a car a "motor ". I have a very modest electrical background. A motor is electric.. Drives me crazy.

Tell that to General MOTORS, Ford MOTOR Company et al.

An engine is always a motor (that which imparts motion) but a motor isn't always an engine.

20200221_093437.jpg

I have another peeve. "what's up":)-with two words spelled differently that mean the same thing.
Example--preventive and preventative. (who are these folks that make declarations of correctness?)
In this case, was it to appease those that stutter? :lol:

I’ve enjoyed reading all the peeves people have on this thread. Admittedly I have many of the same ones. It’s by far and away my biggest peeve is the unbelievable amount of misspelling going on in today’s world. Yes and included in on this forum are many offenders too. So many simple words are either misspelled or misused. Seems like one of the very worst is Loose instead of lose. C’mon how hard can that be....???

I’ve enjoyed reading all the peeves people have on this thread. Admittedly I have many of the same ones. It’s by far and away my biggest peeve is the unbelievable amount of misspelling going on in today’s world. Yes and included in on this forum are many offenders too. So many simple words are either misspelled or misused. Seems like one of the very worst is Loose instead of lose. C’mon how hard can that be....???

Are you referring to one of my post! :lol:

That's what I get for not proof reading before hitting the "Post Reply" button, or even after hitting it, which I normally do.

Hey I get some of the errors that take place with useing some of these devices that have a word processor. You type as fast as you can and as you do you learn that you don't have to completely spell the word before it shows up for you. That's kind of what happened with me spelling the word "lose". It probably came up "loose" and I didn't catch it. And I do remember not proof reading before or even after hitting the reply button, being late that night. Heck even when I do proof read, a day or two later I'll see an error I made when going back to that post.

Some people have more nowledge than others when it comes to spelling, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure. Give the ones with less a break. The thing I can advise to everyone is to proof read your post before posting them and see if you yourself can make since of what you wrote. Some postings I can not even make out what they are trying to say.

The word for the day is You're.

You're is a contraction for "you are,"

I guess you're going to the car show.

Your is the possessive form of the second person pronoun, "you."

Are you taking "your" car to the car show?

Hope this helps!

I know you're isn't spell right/correctly
isn't that the point of it ? who the **** cares...

fucken' people
Spelling Nazi & Grammar Nazi difference - Nothing They'll both tell you wrong.jpg

Are you referring to one of my post! :lol:

That's what I get for not proof reading before hitting the "Post Reply" button, or even after hitting it, which I normally do.

Hey I get some of the errors that take place with useing some of these devices that have a word processor. You type as fast as you can and as you do you learn that you don't have to completely spell the word before it shows up for you. That's kind of what happened with me spelling the word "lose". It probably came up "loose" and I didn't catch it. And I do remember not proof reading before or even after hitting the reply button, being late that night. Heck even when I do proof read, a day or two later I'll see an error I made when going back to that post.

Some people have more nowledge than others when it comes to spelling, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure. Give the ones with less a break. The thing I can advise to everyone is to proof read your post before posting them and see if you yourself can make since of what you wrote. Some postings I can not even make out what they are trying to say.

The word for the day is You're.

You're is a contraction for "you are,"

I guess you're going to the car show.

Your is the possessive form of the second person pronoun, "you."

Are you taking "your" car to the car show?

Hope this helps!
Kid I wasn’t referring to your post actually. I read this particular miscue over and over and over again. But that’s not the only one. Yeah I admit I’m picky on that kind of mistake. I’m horrified when I see myself committing such an egregious error. Lol.... Must have to do with Sister Rosemary Marie in 3 rd grade that has me so wound up.....

Hey just citing a peeve like everyone else is...

It embarrasses me to see that I made a spelling or grammar error. I correct them when I see them.
I'd rather offend people on purpose than by accident.

My blatant and constant errors :in this form: of communicating--are all about punctuation fumbling.
Spell check prompts ,,, tend to help me with words.. but are seldom correct by falling short and not spanking me with my puncuation,;...?

Is it not interesting that face to face communication by voice and sound has none of ...these... issues? :) { I never use [puncutioation]} when speaking with voice.

Last edited:
It embarrasses me to see that I made a spelling or grammar error. I correct them when I see them.
I'd rather offend people on purpose than by accident.
It just proves that at the end of the day, you're just human, I always thought you were.......... just saying.:poke:

I find trouble with folks that have strong accents sometimes. Their language training gives them problems forming sounds that I don't get.
Usually, the context of the conversation comes to the rescue and understanding happens.:drinks:

Example--A non-english speaking field erector and I had to communicate. We did it by hand signaling and pointing at blueprints.--(on the blueprints we connected very well).
BTW--I worked with that man for two years and never knew a lick of what he spoke. We were best friends parting from that job.

Last edited:
Try working with Hispanics and Russians that speak as fast in English as they do in their first language.
I must say WHAT ? several times a day.

I have another peeve. "what's up":)-with two words spelled differently that mean the same thing.
Example--preventive and preventative. (who are these folks that make declarations of correctness?)
In this case, was it to appease those that stutter? :lol:
How about flammable and inflammable...about 15-20 yrs ago, some Einstein here burned down a shopping center when he poured paint thinner on the floor in the middle of the paint aisle at Home Depot and lit it on fire trying to prove to his buddy that it wouldn't burn because it was "inflammable". Hey bubba, watch this...

Is that "about" you or them?--"Just askin"?:poke:
A strong accent makes it hard for me to understand....add to that my reduced hearing ability and the construction noises...

Auto Transport Service
Back